Sizing The Cake Pieces!!! Help Me!!!!!

Decorating By aicha_kashf Updated 16 May 2011 , 9:18pm by aicha_kashf

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there. I just started my own cupcake business (so much easier with the sizes icon_surprised.gifP ), even though I was having some trouble with the pricing of those as well, it still worked out.

Now a lot people want me to do cakes as well... but now the problem is the sizing and pricing!!!!!

How big should it be and how do I price it? Maybe by piece, like $4 a piece.. or what? The thing is that my cakes are all 3 layer cakes and none of them are just plain cake and buttercream. They are all either whipped cream, pastry cream AND fruit based or the plainest is cake filled with chocolate ganach.... what do i do???? help meeee

14 replies
aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 15

because they are all three layered, the cakes are at least 3-4 inches tall!!!!! help help....!

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 15

The standard height for a cake is 4", so that's not the least bit unusual.

Only you can determine your pricing. We don't know where you're located (not entered in your profile) how you buy your supplies (retail grocery or wholesale supplier), we don't know your utility costs, etc.

cakegirl1973 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 15

As far as sizing the number of servings per cake, use the Wilton serving guide. It is accurate. I'd add a link to it, but I'm on my phone, so I cannot add links. Just google "wilton servings guide" and it will pop up.

metria Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 15

perhaps you can invest in purchasing a copy of CakeBoss software that will help you track your costs

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 15

thanks guys....!

I did look at the wilton sometime ago, but they sizes seem to be too smalll..? Most the stuff i buy is groccery store.. I havent reached the point of whole sale yet. I live in calgary Canada. I have checked other bakeries as well, but they are very different as well. The only bakery that make stuff, which is kinda like what I make have crazy prices. I do my cakes from home, so thats the main difference.

I am from denmark, so I do Danish style cakes and cupcakes. I checked a Danish bakery in denmark, and they do pieces 2.5" X 2.5"

I am thinking 2" X 2" .. what do u guys think?????

CWR41 Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicha_kashf

I am thinking 2" X 2" .. what do u guys think?????

I don't know what is standard for Denmark, but the Wilton U.S. standard serving chart is 2" x 2" x 2" (8 cu. in.) for slab cakes, and 1" x 2" x 4" (8 cu. in.) for layer cakes.

TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 15

I use the Wilton Wedding sizes for everything. We really don't have to super size everything out there, and you are using the guide to give them a size and price. If they want larger servings, they order more cakes.

Have you seen this thread on pricing?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 15

thanks again guys... I was not expecting such fast replies... but this is amazing... I love this place!

Now I have come up with something.. I have been working for the past few days, measuring, calculating... And this is what I have come up with:

Not all the cakes are the same so the piece price will be different. As the cake gets bigger, I cutting the price down, like it start at 4.1 dollar per cake and goes about 0.1 down with each cake size. I figure that the smaller the more u have to charge in order to make up for the time u spend, because making a bigger cake costs more in material, but the time factor is not a big difference, well I guess it depends on the cake. Does that make any sense? or should the price for each piece be the same, regardless the size????

TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 15

Personally I think it is easier to have the same price for the same cakes (such as a buttercream price and a fondant price.) There are others that do price cheaper for larger servings. So you have to figure out what works best for you.

For me it is easier to remember one number and multiply that by the number of servings in a cake. I think it is also easier to explain the price to the customer. If you do a cake that takes less time to make, then you just make a little more profit for it.

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 15

\  hanks again everyone... especially to u texassugar icon_surprised.gif)

U r right about the profit, definetly i would wanna do that, but my concern is that it might get too expensive when just using one price and this way loosing customers.

I did calculations on one of the high end bakeries here and they do the same. the thing is that making a small cake is more work, since u go through alllllll the work as u would with a bigger cake, maybe minor difference, but u just dont get that much for small cake as a bigger one... obviously icon_surprised.gif)

I think i have find out something that work for me and will try with this. pricing the cupcakes was even difficult, because my cupcakes are soo different from each other, that pricing then the same would not be right. Again, price it to high lose cusotmer, price it to low... well u lose then. thats why i made customized pricing even for the cupcakes.

Thanks again! I think I am on way to something. ps. The cakeboss is propabaly good but toooo expensive for right now.

Dayti Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 15

Just try and make your pricing easy to understand. If someone wants cake for 30 but doesn't want to pay so much, they can order cake for 20 instead.
You can also have a minimum price/size order, to avoid customers asking for cake for 4, for example. Only you can figure out what that minimum should be - you have to account for how long it takes you to get everything ready, how much it costs to run your oven and other equipment just for a tiny cake, how long your cleanup takes etc.

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 15

I have made a doc.. I am attaching it so u guys can see it also if some one might need some help can use it. My business is primarily cupcakes... nut people want me to make cakes. And the minimum for cupcakes is dozen of the same kind and thats it. because i work from home, i cant make cupcakes less than 12 (its too much to make only half a dozen) or even two flavors in one dozen, since thats too much work to.

cake, minimum 6" for 8-10 people. decor will cost extra (like marzipan or flowers... i dont use fondant)

aicha_kashf Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 15

i guess the attaching part is not working... hmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%