Silicon Molds

Baking By desfox13 Updated 17 May 2011 , 6:34pm by Marianna46

desfox13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desfox13 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I recently tried to use silicon molds for the first time. I have never seen them used, nor do I know anyone who has used them. So, ..., I had three cupcake molds, flowers, stars and hearts in 6 packs. Here in Mexico, the paper cups for cupcakes and muffins are made differently and they do not release the cupcakes or muffins. Half of your product sticks to the paper and you have to scrape it off with your teeth. Not good! I have been living here for 5 years and I have never had this problem before when I lived in the US. I thought the silicone molds would be the answer. However, my cupcakes stuck in them as well! I tried one mold with no type of extra shortening, I brushed one type with butter and the third I used olive oil (seeing as this was an experiment!). When I tried to get my cupcakes out, either I broke off a corner of the star, or the bottom half of the flowers stayed in the mold. What am I doing wrong? I am 58 years old and have been baking my whole life. I am no longer used to disasters, lol.

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 7

Hi, desfox13. I've heard that these silicon molds are notorious for sticking! My daughter brought me some from a trip to the States and that's been exactly my experience. I don't know where you are in Mexico, but there are some places where you can get Wilton cupcake liners (which I don't like nearly as well as the garden variety ones you get at the supermarket in the US, but they're better than the standard red ones you get here!).

desfox13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desfox13 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:23am
post #3 of 7

Dear Marianna46 Then it's not just me? Oh, thank God. I thought I'd lost my touch, lol. I'm going to the states this summer. I guess I'll ship a bunch of them to myself. I live in Sinaloa, near Guasave, on the beach, Playa Las Glorias. Where are you? Are you originally Mexican or American? I am originally American.
I thought the whole point of the silicon was that nothing sticks to it. Like the Silpat mats for cookies. Since I am a tree hugger from way back, I also liked the idea doing without the paper. Go figure. Thanks for the feedback. Lots of people have read this, but you're the only one who answered. I would really appreciate any other comments. Is there a secret that we aren't getting? It's just too bad. The stars, hearts, and flowers are so cute!

Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 7

No, it's not just you, desfox13! They're miserable to use! I'm originally from Houston, but I've been here for ages, first in Mexico City and now that I've retired, in Cancún, where my kids went to live after they both finished college. I'm at a loss as to know what to do with these molds. I also have one for a rectangular cake and when I used it, it turned brownish on one side, like it was burning - go figure! And, of course, the cake stuck and came out in pieces. I think part of the problem with the feedback is that there are just so many of us now. Every time I look at the list of unanswered messages, it's a little longer (over 8700 the last time I looked, but of course that's over time, not just recently). Also, there was a thread about this on here a month or two ago (I've been looking for it, but I can't find it, drat!), so maybe people are just "answered out". However, I LOVE to talk about cakes, so if you ever get the yen for a gab, here I am!

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

Happy to read your posts. I thought you meant silicone molds for fondant/gumpaste figures...lol. Anyway, glad I read b/c I've been thinking about the silicone cupcakes. Now I know I just want to stay away from those! icon_smile.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 7

I have a silicone giant cupcake pan, and didn't really have any issues with it sticking. I sprayed it well with pan spray, and didn't let it cool very long before removing if I remember right. I kind of pulled away at the sides to see that it wasn't sticking before flipping and removing. Hope those molds don't go to waste, I bet you could make ganache desserts out of them or something. Happy baking!

Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, yeah, bakingkat, there's always something you can do. I actually use them for gelatins and like the way they turn out, but baking seems to be out for me, unless someone has another suggestion about how to prepare them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%