Need Help On This Cake Asap! :)

Decorating By BellaRoca Updated 16 May 2011 , 6:06pm by cownsj

BellaRoca Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:02am
post #1 of 8

So I have to make a locker cake for a grad party for this weekend. I found this cake and I LOVE it...i have 2 questions. I know how to stack and cover in fondant, etc BUT does anyone know hot to get that crisp look on the lockers, like its hard edges? i dont think fondant will do that... like the door that is open, what would you use to make that so crisp, and able to stand?
also, does anyone know where i can get edible images printed off like to use for the pics on the locker door? i dont have an edible image printer....
thanks a ton!

7 replies
Coral3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:45am
post #2 of 8

Could you make pastillage panels to cover the cake?

platinumlady Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:48am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Could you make pastillage panels to cover the cake?

Hi Coral3 what is pastillage panels? I've never heard of that before & I'm trying to google it but not much luck

dg10148 Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:34am
post #4 of 8

I have to do one in June and I am doing my lockers in pastillage panels remember to do the locker a few days ahead of time so they dry. Just google pastillage recipe. That's how I got my recipe.
This can be rolled out very thin. I used pastillage for the cradle and wardrobe in my photos

BellaRoca Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 8

hmm ive never heard of pastillage ... do u still put buttercream under it..like fondant?

BellaRoca Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

do yall think i could use gum paste for this instead of pastillage? ive never used or made it and i dont know if i have time to start now....?

Marianna46 Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 8

Pastillage will dry harder (and faster, so you have to work pretty quickly!) than gumpaste, but you work it just like you would gumpaste. Actually, you might give gumpaste a try, but in a case like this I'd say pastillage was the way to go. Pastillage is very easy to make. Here's link to the index of pastillage recipes here on Cake Central:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=pastillage
I would personally go with the FCI Pastillage, but you have to weigh everything and it's in metric units, so you might want to choose one of the other ones.

cownsj Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 8

For the images, put ALL the pictures you want to use on a single sheet of paper and go to your local Walmart or supermarket. They'll make an edible sheet for you for around $5 - $7. They charge by the sheet, that's why you want to get them all on one page. Their machine will automatically size your image to their paper, which is a tiny bit smaller, so keep that in mind, or trim your paper down just a tiny bit to get your image closer to size. (maybe a 1/4 inch or so on two sides)

Pastillagge is lighter weight, but you might want to cover a cake board in gumpaste to make it a bit stiffer. just a thought.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%