Gumpaste Drying Time?

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 17 May 2011 , 4:00pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 7

I tried making some things with gumpaste, and they turned out well, but I can't get the core of the rose to dry.I made it yesterday afternoon, and it's still not dry.

I only used a teensy bit of Crisco, just like the You tube video I watched, but it seems to be drying so slow.

The leaves I think, are finally dry...the tendrils, are almost dry, one broke off a bit. We are having to run the furnace cause it's quite cold outside. Could that be why it's drying slow? I have a dehydrator. Would that help?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

By the core, do you mean the center bud that you build the flower off of? In general if you are using straight gumpaste it shouldn't take more than 24 hours, sometimes less. Is it very humid there?

And yes the dehydrator should work, though I have never tried it myself.

Rhonlynn Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

Our weather is weird. We have our furnace on, and yes, it's humid...I'll keep trying.

TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 7

A while back there was a post about doing the bases where you heat the wire you are putting it on, then press that into your fondant base. The hot wire causes the gumpaste to melt then when it hardens it stick to the wire. Since the base was firmly attached to the wire you could actually start building your rose right away. If you need your roses faster, that may be something to look into.

Rhonlynn Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

A while back there was a post about doing the bases where you heat the wire you are putting it on, then press that into your fondant base. The hot wire causes the gumpaste to melt then when it hardens it stick to the wire. Since the base was firmly attached to the wire you could actually start building your rose right away. If you need your roses faster, that may be something to look into.

It' still not dry!I must've used too much gel color. I used Wilton's frosting color, in the little plastic jar.

TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 7

Did you try the dehydrator?

Rhonlynn Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

Not yet...I'll try it Thursday. The should work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%