Spreading Problem

Baking By mija10417 Updated 30 May 2011 , 1:16pm by mija10417

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 17

I'm really not sure if anyone can even help me at this point but either way I need to vent!

I started making cutout sugar cookies years ago. I started with Karen's Basic Rolled Sugar Cookie. It worked great and tasted delicious! Held it's shape so well. Went on a baking break for a year and when I started making cookies again, that recipe kept spreading, a lot! I have tried sooooo many recipes since then and have nothing but spreading problems. Tried, NFSC, Annie's Cut Out Cookies, Shortbread, etc....

What am I doing wrong?? I've made them thinner, thicker, lowered oven temp, made it higher, left out baking powder and so on....I have 100 cookies to do for an upcoming baby shower and I'm freaking out as I don't know what recipe to use anymore. Since Friday, I've made three different recipes and none have worked!

Any help or advice would be so appreciated!

16 replies
PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #2 of 17

Mija, I've only used the NFSC here on CC, which worked great. Are you chilling your dough before cutting -- see the "Hints" listed under the instructions for NFSC - and also chilling again before baking? The Flour Pot Cookie Book recommends re-refrigerating the cut out cookies for approx. 15 mins. so they set up, which should eliminate any running issues. (I do both -- refrigerate the dough after rolling, then the cut out cookies before baking, and I haven't had any problems.)

The only other issue might be the butter you're using . . . ??? I use Kerrygold, a little more expensive than other brands, but it yields a wonderful taste.

HTH! : )

PDX

ShakyCakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakyCakes99 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #3 of 17

I have found that it helps to also chill the cookie pan before baking. It eliminates most all of the spreading. However, if I have one that does spread, I re-cut the shape about 5 minutes after it coms out of the oven.
I use the NFSC recipe as well.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #4 of 17

... also, cookies may spread too much when there is too much sugar or not enough flour. Or the ingredients have changed, perhaps a different brand or supplier. Hope things work out...

mija10417 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #5 of 17

Thanks everyone. Yes, I chill my dough, cut, chill again in fridge and then throw in freezer for 5 min before putting in oven.

Maybe I'll try cutting them again once they come out of the oven.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:05am
post #6 of 17

This is the recipe that I use from the book "Cookie Craft".

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsps vanilla

Mix flour and salt in bowl. Cream butter and sugar well, add vanilla and egg. Mix in flour/salt mixture. I refrigerate for 15 minutes or overnight.

After I cutout my cookies I refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes. Bake at 350. My cookies never spread. It is a great recipe that tast good and does not get rock hard. Try it, you will not be disappointed. HTH

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 17

The recipe that comes with the autumn carpenter cutters (the ones that come with the texture sheets), it doesn't spread at all. In fact I felt like it shrunk! I would type of the recipe, but I don't have it with me on vacation. I did like the taste of the NFSC on here better though.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 17

I use the recipe from Karen's Cookies, and they spread less than NFSC because of the lack of leavening. If it was working before, and now it's not, something has changed. Have you checked your oven temp???? A too-cool oven will affect spreading. Karen advocates using half butter/half margarine...have you changed brands or proportions? Some margarines and butters contain more liquid than others. Are you using different cookie sheets? Mine do better on light-colored pans. Other than the chilling that others have mention, that's all I can think of!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 17

If NFSC spreads, just leave out the leavening. Also 5 minutes in the freezer may not be enough time. I do about 15 at a minimum.

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 21 May 2011 , 4:58am
post #10 of 17

Are your cookies thicker than they used to be? The thicker I cut out my cookies, the greater the chance of spreading.

breyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:49am
post #11 of 17

I also use the "Cookie Craft" recipe and love it. I never have a problem with spreading. I have tried a ton of other recipes and they all spread on me and I follow the same method as the "Cookie Craft" method and they just don't work for me. So in the end I always find myself going back to that recipe. They taste good and the texture is nice. Oh...and I have read that over creaming the butter and sugar causes air bubbles which will increase spreading. Are you over creaming the butter and sugar???

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 17

You may be mismeasuring your flour. Try adding more until the texture of the dough is not sticky

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 17

The recipe posted from Cookie Craft is the same as the NFSC recipe without the baking powder- just halved.

I cream the heck out of my butter and sugar - I let it go until really light and fluffy, at least 3-5 minutes on medium speed, and I do not have much issue with spreading. But, I do refrigerate my dough (after rolling it out) for several hours.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by breyes

I also use the "Cookie Craft" recipe and love it. I never have a problem with spreading. I have tried a ton of other recipes and they all spread on me and I follow the same method as the "Cookie Craft" method and they just don't work for me. So in the end I always find myself going back to that recipe. They taste good and the texture is nice. Oh...and I have read that over creaming the butter and sugar causes air bubbles which will increase spreading. Are you over creaming the butter and sugar???

Breyer is correct in her last statement. Beating this like you do a cake will create air bubbles that will rise once the leavening reacts.

mija10417 Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:31am
post #15 of 17

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I went back to Annie Eats sugar cookies and added a 1/4 cup of flour. Seems to do the trick! They aren't spreading at all. Once these cookies are completed I'm going to go back and see if I could fix the problem I've been having with Karen's cookies. They are by far the best tasting sugar cookie.

PinkChateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkChateau Posted 29 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #16 of 17

I too sometimes find this happening. I started doing research and discovered a few things. According to Baking Illustrated, the protein content in flour differs. ..."lower-protein flours spread more..." "King Arthur 11.7% protein, Heckers/Ceresota 11.5-11.9% protein, Hodgson Mill 11.0% protein, Gold Medal and Pillsbury 10.5% protein." Therefore, if one would use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, this might deter some spreading.

mija10417 Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks for the info! I've definitely noticed a difference the few times I've used a different brand of flour. That's great to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%