How Do I...... Make A Box Lid

Decorating By kimma1299 Updated 25 May 2011 , 8:08am by angelogoo

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, I volunteered to make a wedding shower cake for my friend's future daughter in laws shower. I would love to make it look like a gift box cake with the lid propped against the side of the cake. I don't want to make it out of cake but rather gumpaste. Any suggestions? I have never done that type of thing before so any help would be appreciated. Also, for the actual box, I want it to have a lip. DO you think I should precut the sides in panels and then apply to the cake or should I just wrap in fondant and add my tissue paper and roses to the top of that? Help, please.

7 replies
kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #2 of 8

Any one, please?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 8

I made my shoe box lid by putting gumpaste on a piece of cake cardboard. To make the lips on the box, I put the box lid on two glasses for support and so nothing would touch the lips as they dried.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1719442

You just leave the cardboard under the gumpaste, don't try to remove it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 8

Sugared Productions makes a video on this very topic. I highly recommend it.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Sugared Productions makes a video on this very topic. I highly recommend it.

It's called Boxes & Bows & it's awesome! Love that Sharon!

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #6 of 8

You can form the lid by rolling out your gumpaste and placing it on the outside bottom of the cake pan you use to bake the box part of the cake. Just trim it to make the sides straight and let dry a day or two on the pan.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:48am
post #7 of 8

KathysCC's cake is gorgeous and she gave a really good suggestion! Also pink cake box has a tutorial...

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:08am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWife

You can form the lid by rolling out your gumpaste and placing it on the outside bottom of the cake pan you use to bake the box part of the cake. Just trim it to make the sides straight and let dry a day or two on the pan.

Second the above suggestion, i think its a good method and you can see it demonstrated in Sharons video. After a day or two, take it out from the tin and let it air dry some more. You need to do this days in advance though for it to dry hard enough to stand firmly.

Goodluck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%