What's Best To Use For Hot Weather?

Decorating By katie1214 Updated 17 May 2011 , 3:36pm by 2txmedics

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 10

I see all kinds of recipes on here so I'm just looking for the expert opinion on what kind of covering would be best for an outside birthday party in June. The cake will be in the shade but it has the potential to be hot and humid in PA in June. I have a high humidity BC recipe from my teacher but I don't like the way it tastes (has that mouth coating thing happening). Does MMF hold up in heat? Any and all opinions welcomed - thanks!

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 10

I live in a place that's a lot hotter and more humid than PA! I use a VERY thin layer of ganache under fondant. The ganache gets a little wonky for outdoor parties in August, but it works the best of anything I've tried. Strangely enough, however, the all-shortening buttercream, which tastes gross in cooler climates, tastes just fine in hot weather, especially with a spoonful of butter extract thrown in.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 10

Indydebi's bc tastes great and stands up well in the heat.

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 10

Indybi buttercream is great

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 10

Where can I find this recipe at?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenabbott00

Where can I find this recipe at?

If you google "IndyDebi's buttercream CC" it pops right up. Personally, the only bc I use in heat is Sugarshack's recipe. I love it! You can find it doing a similar search. I prefer using fondant in heat. I've never used MMF in heat, but I don't see why it would't stand up in warmer temps like regular fondant does. Good luck!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 10

Unfortunately, I can't get all the ingredients for either Indydebi's or Sugarshack's buttercream here in Mexico, or else I'd probably be using one of them!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 10

Jena it's here in this web recipes section , it's a great recipe really

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 10

I find MMF get shiny. I am a huge Satin Ice fan myself. Doesn't sweat in the frig like MMF does either. In the summer, I use a crisco based butter cream. All other times I love the Butter Cream Dream recipe. Most criso based recipes that you google will be pretty much the same with a slight difference in how much crisco to add. I also think your extracts make a huge difference in the end result.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 10

I use Indys recipe and I love it! Im in Hot/Humid Southern Texas...Indys recipe gets a firm crust, but has a wonderful taste and when you cut into a cake its still very moist and the recipe fail proof in the heat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%