Business By mom32008 Updated 16 May 2011 , 3:12am by scp1127

mom32008 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone contact there brides after there weddings? There are alot of times that we deliver and there is no one there to see us put up the cakes or cupcakes, and we don't always get a note or email saying how the cake was, and we always ask for feedback good or bad, we are just getting started and I like to hear all the opions.

13 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 14

I don't contact anyone after they get their order. Personally I think you are just opening it up for someone to complain. If they weren't happy, trust me, you'll hear about it.

I do from time to time get someone that contacts me to tell me how much they liked their order. That's always nice. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 14

I always mail a thank you note a week after the event... great stationery, handwritten.

HappyCake10609 Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 14
Originally Posted by scp1127

I always mail a thank you note a week after the event... great stationery, handwritten.

My first job was at a printing company and we always sent handwritten thank you notes after our orders were completed. It's a great touch and, although I don't have a business yet, I plan on doing the same. Not only does it let the client know you appreciate their business, but it might prompt them to contact you in return to let you know how much the like the cake or cupcakes!

scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 14

Remember, if they don't tell you they were unhappy, they will tell everyone else. A head in the sand approach is suicide with the power of social networking.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 14

No. Never did.

- As stated above, if there's a problem they WILL contact you. No news is good news.

- I didnt' want to look "needy" by implying or hinting that I wanted them to tell me how great I am.

- Solicited compliments mean nothing to me. If you ask someone to "tell me how fabulous I look in this dress!", and they comply, do you REALLY feel complimented? Is it REALLY a sincere compliment? I detest 'fake and phony' and that's where I classify solicited compliments.

- I was happy and satisfied with the nice emails and thank you cards that I rec'd. I hung the thank you cards on a bulletin board in my shop so everyone who came in could see them. Email comments were posted on my website.

If you're looking to collect good testimonials (and we all are!), you can make subtle suggestions to get folks to send them in to you. Posting the thank you notes on my bulletin board showed clients "Oh look! If I send her a card, then MY name will go on her board, too!" Seeing comments on yoru website will send the same message. People LUV seeing their name on a website. What they love seeing even more is a pic of themself. Have a couple of friends send a pic of their kid blowing out their candles or contact the wedding photographer and buy a pic of the couple cutting the cake and post those. it promotes the idea.

cownsj Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:02am
post #7 of 14

Boy, I do understand that "wanting to know" feeling about a cake. And I have asked family here or there, but not really because I don't know if their comments are sincere or politeness.

We have several people we know who always call after getting a cake to say how they liked it. It's great that they want to share the comments and reactions from their family/friends.

One time my husband did a wedding cake. 9:30 the next morning the phone rings, it's the brides phone..... Uh oh.. Everything was fine when the cake was left. She actually called to thank him for her cake and tell him how much she loved it. I've never heard of a bride doing that before. I've been more flabbergasted by the notion of a bride doing that than of her having been so happy with her cake.

Feedback is wonderful when it's good, but don't ask. You'll wonder more on good feeback if it's really sincere, and you don't want to open the door to negative feedback.

mom32008 Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:29am
post #8 of 14

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!!! You all make very valid points. I do really like the idea of the thank you notes and posting there coments or cards on the bakery walls so I thinks for now I will take your advice and just shut up! lol and let things fall were they may!

jenmat Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:16am
post #9 of 14

I don't contact them, for the exact reasons that Debi pointed out. However, I think a Thank You note is much different than contacting them via email to "see how it went."
If you're emailing someone to say "just wanted to know how everything went," that's both opening yourself up to issues AND fishing for compliments.

But a handwritten note is thoughtful, polite, sincere, AND best of all, it doesn't have a "REPLY" button! icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:44am
post #10 of 14

The thank you note isn't doing anything more than thanking them for their business. But what it does do is it implies that I am responsive to their needs. And if there is a problem, hopefully they will feel more comfortable talking with me because I have opened the door to further communication, showing that I am accessable and willing to talk. I don't ask how they liked the cake, it is just a letter of appreciation, no more. I don't even mention business in the future.

Kitagrl Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #11 of 14

Sometimes I send them a link to my blog where I have posted a nice picture of their cake, and I tell them they are welcome to post the photo on their facebook page...but that's about it. I agree, no news is good news.

indydebi Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #12 of 14
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Sometimes I send them a link to my blog where I have posted a nice picture of their cake....

I've done similar such things. Link to a posting about their wedding or link to their cake photo or emailing them a photo I took at the wedding 'for their "photo collection".

carmijok Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:36am
post #13 of 14

I would send a handwritten note on your business stationery that simply says
' Thank you for letting us be part of your special day. I hope we may help you celebrate all the important events of your new life together.

Thank you for your business!'

Then I would include a 10 or 15% off coupon good for any one cake ordered...including the anniversary top tier.
Not only are you thanking them, you are giving them an opportunity to keep coming back. You might make the coupon something you only give to your brides and good for only one year of course.

scp1127 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #14 of 14

I save the future sales stuff and discounts for people who sign up for our newsletter

Quote by @%username% on %date%