Stacking Tiers

Decorating By orianaklump Updated 21 May 2011 , 2:20am by aces413

orianaklump Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a 3 tier wedding cake. It will be covered in fondant. I'm worried that the tiers will slide around. When I cut the dowels should I cut a longer one in the middle and a hole in the bottom of the board that the next cake is on and put the dowel through the hole? Is there a better way? I've done small 2 tier cakes at home, I've never really had to move them too far. I'm terrified that the tiers will slide off during transport to the wedding.....

6 replies
Eisskween Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

I always assemble at the venue. It's saves me a lot of grief and stress.

sparkle25 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 7

I usually shave a dowel down until it's a spike at the one end and drive it through all the layers (making sure it goes through all the cardboard cake circles all the way down to touch the cake board). There will be a hole on your top layer, but I just use decorations or a topper to cover it.

The following link is from Wilton it shows what I mean:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

There are also lots of tutorials on youtube you could watch.

monet1895 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 7

Similar to sparkle, I also use a center dowel. I have found that bamboo skewers work great! They already have a sharp point, and they are cheap and you can find them everywhere!

Some people also put a little buttercream in between the layers to help everything "stick."

orianaklump Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 7

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help! icon_smile.gif I love this site! Everyone is so helpful! Thank you a million times!!!!!!

SarahL4683 Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:06am
post #6 of 7

I also use a center dowel. I've never had problems transporting a 3 tiered cake that way. As long as you have supports in between each layer and a center dowel, you should be fine!

aces413 Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

Thanks ladies, I was pondering a similar question.

I have a Toy Story cake order for early July, and the customer wants a fairly common design (3-tier with the top a cratered moon or planet). The planet/moon on top would be RKT, and the other 2 tiers cake. Should I run a dowel through the RKT top as well, or just the two cake layers?

Also--I have a Honda Civic coupe (I'm new to cake transporting...haha)...I guess I just have to put it on the passenger's side floor and cross my fingers? Or should I save my anxious little heart and just assemble it at the customer's house?

The more I think about it, I'm liking the assembly-at-site idea. But either way, it'll be helpful for future cakes to know what other people are doing.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%