Tiered Cake Question

Decorating By blue329 Updated 16 May 2011 , 1:21am by Jeff_Arnett

blue329 Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to try to make my first tiered cake. I have watched some Youtube videos & have read on the subject. I am wondering, when you insert the large dowel through the entire cake, are you pushing it through cake boards & all? As I try to imagine it, I am thinking that trying to press it through the various cake boards would make the boards bend, in turn, ruining cake. Does the dowel go easily through the cake boards? Any advice or information about this would help. Also, any advice for a first-timer taking on a tiered cake would be great as well. Thanks!!!!

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

You don't press the center dowel down the center of the cake. I hammer it through using a mallet, and it is very easy. Sugarshack has a wonderful DVD on stacking cakes that I highly recommend. You can get it at sugaredproductions.com

blue329 Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

Thank you. I'll will check out the dvd you mentioned. I appreciate your advice about the mallet.

Dani1081 Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #4 of 7

Blue329, be sure to sharpen the end of your wooden dowel with a pencil sharpener before hammering it through your cardboard cake boards. It really will go through very easily tapping it with a small hammer or mallet. Another thing that I learned through trial and error, when placing your tier supports, don't put them too far in. they should be about 1" in from the edge of the tier you will be placing on top. If they are too far in, the cake will tip and collapse just like there's no support in the lower tier at all. I find it helpful to put a cardboard cake round on top of my tier, center it and mark around the edges with a toothpick. that way, I can easily judge where my supports go and also where my tier should be when I am ready to place it on top. Good luck!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:08am
post #5 of 7

I work backwords on this one.

I start with a base that has a center hole drilled into which I glue a dowel rod that will end up about 2 inches shorter than the entire cake.

Prior to icing, I cut the same size hole in the center of each board. When the cakes are iced and doweled, assembly is easy....one by one, the cakes are impaled down the center dowel through the hole in the bottom of the cake board.....this also provides automatic centering of each tier.

My based are usually 1/2 inch thick foamcore [with added 3 inch x 1/2 inch thick foamcore feet added plus a center foot]. I cut the center holes with foamwerks hole cutters, insert and glue the center dowel in place.

You can also use masonite boards as well for this....this is what Sylvia Weinstock and Ron Ben-Israel do to stack a cake.

They travel like a dream in this manner.

I've attached a PDF drawing of how I do it. Try it sometime!

DaniNicole Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #6 of 7

I have always wondered about hammering through the cake boards myself...Jeff, your technique makes total sense to me; however, I don't see the attachment. Did I miss it??

Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:21am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniNicole

I have always wondered about hammering through the cake boards myself...Jeff, your technique makes total sense to me; however, I don't see the attachment. Did I miss it??

No...I tried but it won't attach for some reason. Message me privately and I'll send it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%