How To Flip Using The Upside Down Icing Method

Decorating By msmanning2 Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 8:47pm by katy625

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:41am
post #1 of 10

I did a practice upside down icing method cake this evening. I love the concept and the look, but what is the best technique to flip the cake right side up? I was just using a 6 inch cake dummy so it wasn't too hard. I can't imagine flipping a bigger cake (especially if it is torted). Any suggestions on how to flip? Thanks!

Michele

9 replies
ELU267 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELU267 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #2 of 10

Make sure the cake is resting on a cookie sheet or a cake board. Before you flip you put another cake board on the bottom (which is the top before the flip) and use both hands to turn it over. Remove the cake board and parchment paper and voila, your cake is flipped over icing side up.

msmanning2 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks. Can this technique work with bigger cakes (say a 14 or 16 inch round. Would it be too heavy to flip?

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 10

This title caught my eye...this might be a silly question...but why do you want the frosting on the bottom of the cake??

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Candy120,
Welcome to CC. The icing isn't actually on the bottom of the cake. The cake is upside don while you ice it and then you flip it over when you are finished. ther is a tutorial on the method in the articles section of the site. I have not tried it yet but am looking forward to it.

Candy120 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 10

When I click on the Articles at the top of the page...it tells me that that page is not available. Guess I will check back later. This still has me intrigued!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 10

WOW that looks cool! I may have to make a cake for the kids tonight to see if I can get that to work! How have I missed that trick all this time?

Candy120 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 10

I clicked on Articles again and it worked!! Oh, my goodness...How cool is that trick???? I can't wait to try that!! Hope it works as well as the picture shows!!! Thanks!!

msmanning2 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 10

I love it too. I can't ice a cake to save my life and this technique may just save me!!

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 10

What if I don't have enough room in my freezer. It says that if you use all shortening icing you may have to put it in your freezer......well, do you or will it set up right in the fridge??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%