How Do I Make Birds Like Rylans?

Decorating By Dayti Updated 19 May 2011 , 11:28pm by Cupcations

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have a super close up shot of any of the birds from Rylans' cakes? Or seen a tutorial anywhere of anything similar (nothing in his tutorial posts or elsewhere online as far as I have looked). I think they are lovely but my attempts so far have been rubbish, mostly because I can't see them too well in the photos he has posted on here, or on his blog. They look simple, but they aren't.

Rylan, if you read this, I love your birds though reading your blog you appeared to get a bit tired of them in the end! If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!

14 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 15

My initial reaction having read the title was, ask Rylan to make them.... lol He's a class all his own. But try sending him a pm, maybe he can help you out. Challenge should DEFINITELY recruit him to do an episode. Better yet, "Amazing Wedding Cakes", should use him.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 15

I did a cake similar to Rylans and did ask him about the birds, he just said he thought they were the easiest part of his cake. But I had trouble too. They wouldn't stay rounded. I think it would be hard for him to explain the process, he shaped them until he got it right.

Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 15

Ooh yeah, I'd take a couple of already made ones from him if he has no use for them!
I didn't really want to bother him, so I'll wait and see if anyone has any ideas before sending him a PM.
I agree on him getting a call from any of the shows, I'd love to watch one with him in! Maybe we should start a fan club icon_biggrin.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you warchild, they are very helpful!

warchild Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 15

Dayti, here's a slightly different view of the cake with a bird sitting on a branch. You can see the shape of the bird a bit better on this one.
The photo should enlarge a bit if you click on it.

http://www.artandappetite.com/wp-content/gallery/cakes/organic-final-470-3.jpg

Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks. I will have to have a go at these tomorrow, I need them for a wedding cake for Friday and Mondays are my quiet, modelling days. I hope they turn out better than the last ones I did! The pictures you posted earlier help a lot.

warchild Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Thanks. I will have to have a go at these tomorrow, I need them for a wedding cake for Friday and Mondays are my quiet, modelling days. I hope they turn out better than the last ones I did! The pictures you posted earlier help a lot.

You're welcome Dayti. thumbs_up.gif Have fun with your modelling!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 15

Hi Dayti,

The birds are really the easiest and the most effortless things on the cake (I accidentally made it). Just roll your gumpaste into a seam-free ball. After it looks seam-free, just rub a ton of shortening all over (to make it slippery when forming). After rubbing shortening, just free form it by pushing, rubbing and just using your fingers. When done, I just lay it on a bed of cornstarch, to help it dry faster and get the shorting off. I hope I could have explained it better--it is so hard to describe in words on how to do it, haha.

Dayti Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 15

Hey Rylan - I made two earlier today, and only just saw your reply. I didn't even think to rub shortening over them, but they turned out ok. I made a ball, then made a kind of fat, chubby triangle, then formed the tail and head, then the beak. It is tough to explain especially since it's one of those things that you just have to keep tweaking til it looks right!

Rylan Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 15

Sounds great! I can totally picture what you are talking about. I'm sure it turned out great! Oh, and by the way, I'm so in love with your avatar!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 15

Ooooo...those birds are so pretty! Simple and elegant. And apparently easy to make! I'll have to try them very soon! Thanks!

Rylan Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks, carmijok!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 15

Rylan your work is absolutely amazing!!
I wanted to comment on your pictures but seriously I was lost & didn't know which one to pick as my favourite!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%