Sheet Cake

Decorating By Bmw21 Updated 15 May 2011 , 10:18pm by kakeladi

Bmw21 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a graduation sheet cake next week, & I need to know how to put the buttercream on the cake. Do I need to crumb coat the cake first?

3 replies
Leslie87 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 4

I hardly every crumb coat my cake I just don't feel the need to. But If you don't crumb coat you really have to watch how you pick the spatula up off the cake to make sure no crumbs come up with it.. If your worried about getting crumb in the icing then I would say yes crumb coat it better safe then sorry..

Bmw21 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!

kakeladi Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 4

........If you don't crumb coat you really have to watch how you pick the spatula up off the cake to make sure no crumbs come up with it.. .......

Knowing how to ice a cake is important. One does not pick the spatula up off the cake. You push the icing around so your spatula never touches uncovered cake.
Crumbcoating (aka: dirty iced) is simply taking your b'cream and spreading it very, very lightly over the cake - the coating is very light but completely covers the cake. Doing this one does not worry about picking up crumbs or any cake showing through- just that you get every little bit of cake covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%