Help!!!! Buttercream Cracking....

Decorating By NanaCin Updated 17 May 2011 , 3:44am by Jmlpitbull

NanaCin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaCin Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 10

I recently made a cake for my Granddaughter's First Communion. I noticed by the time I got it down to her house the buttercream started to crack in places. I used a frosting with butter, confectioner sugar, milk and flavoring. No crisco in this. Can anyone tell me if I can fix it before we cut it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks,
NanaCin icon_sad.gif

9 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

Most of the time if your buttercream cracks it is because there is movement in the cake. This happens a lot if you use cardboard to put the cake on.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 10

Agreeing with grandmom. You need a VERY strong board(s) for your cake to prevent this from happening. I'm not aware of anything you can do once the cracking has happened.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, cracking usually occurs when moving the cake that's on a board that isn't thick enough. You could try to smooth out the cracks with a hot knife, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth--just eat it!

NanaCin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaCin Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for all your help, I am sad that it happened but, life goes on..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

This happens a lot if you use cardboard to put the cake on.

I just wanted to clarify a bit because this statement sounds like "if you use cardboard, your icing will crack" and I'm sure that's nto what you meant.

cardboard is nice and safe and secure to trasnport a cake on. What you need is thick and sturdy cardboard. The 8" round I'm taking to my grandkids birthday this weekend will be on a single cardboard and it will get there fine. The 16" round base cake that I'm taking to my relative's 80th birthday next month will be sitting on 3 cardboards and it will make the one hour trip with no problem.

Cardboard is not bad. Not enough cardboard for larger cakes is.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with Indydeb, it could be you didn't use a strong enough base.

But this is the third time I have read this question. I am beginning to think a lot of people are making their BC a bit too dry.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #8 of 10

Guess I should have clarified: too thin cardboard will cause cracking.

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:34am
post #9 of 10

I agree, I think maybe your icing may have been too dry and for a sturdy base, we have been using the foam board poster board and cutting to the size we want...we make it 2-3 layers thick depending on the size of the cake...I'm not sure if you have Dollar Trees in your area, but that's where we order ours from..you might even be able to order it online from them...I pay a dollar a sheet and it is usually all I need for a cake...hope this helps some! icon_smile.gif

Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:44am
post #10 of 10

So then why does my buttercream crack when it sits in one place overnight? I use Dawn's Butt-R-Cream with water added to thin it out some. Any ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%