Best Way To Sift Sugar 50Lbs At A Time?

Lounge By ConfectionsCC Updated 15 May 2011 , 6:54pm by sweetnessx3

ConfectionsCC Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 6

My arms are KILLING ME. I am so sick of having to sift this sugar LOL! I buy my sugar by the 50lbs bag, and every time I get a new bag, I spend hours with a spaghetti strainer sifting the entire bag so its ready for BC later that week. SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS AN EASIER OR FASTER WAY! I just know there has to be! If not, I may be hiring someone just to come in a sift sugar for me....

5 replies
bakingkat Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 6

You sift the whole bag at once? Wow! I just sift what I need for each batch of fondant/buttercream... I have a large drum sifter that I use, seems to go pretty quick, though I'm only doing maybe 10# at a time. The trick is not to fill it too full, it seems to take longer to go through that way.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sieve&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bdK&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17393532849358973541&sa=X&ei=nwLQTZb3LYuisAPlzPjGCw&ved=0CMIBEPMCMAY&biw=1280&bih=697#

ConfectionsCC Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

LOL I don't mean I dump the entire bag at once, I meant I sit there and sift into a large container until its all sifted, then just measure out what I need when its time to make the bc icon_redface.gif

Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 6

This may sound like a strange question, but have you tried making your BC without sifting it? Do the lumps stay in your BC? I never sift mine as, like you say, its such a pain, and the lumps work their way out during the mixing process. I only ever sift if for royal icing. I use Tate&Lyle icing sugar, its a British brand. Maybe the consistency of the lumps depends on the brand...

bakingkat Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

LOL I don't mean I dump the entire bag at once, I meant I sit there and sift into a large container until its all sifted, then just measure out what I need when its time to make the bc icon_redface.gif

Haha, yeah, but still just the thought of sifting an entire bag in one sitting makes my arms feel like jello! You must have arms of steel!

I also have made my bc without sifting on occasion (when i'm feeling lazy and its just for family) lol, and haven't had issues. I just like the extra security of sifting when it's a cake that has to be perfect.

sweetnessx3 Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 6

The only time I sift is when im making fondant icon_smile.gif.and I even hate doing it then but its a must !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%