Cracked Wedding Cakes

Decorating By donna247 Updated 20 May 2011 , 3:49am by donna247

donna247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donna247 Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am experiencing hairline cracks in my wedding cakes after they have been sitting for a day or so decorated. It happens when I pick up the cake to carry it. I have been doing this for over twenty years and have never had a problem until last year. I fill the cakes with two layers of filling, and use the same frosting recipes. I have always used the silver , corrugated dummy bases. Could it be the shortening or butter I am using?

4 replies
m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

Has your weather been dryer this year?

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 5

It sounds to me like the cake board is too thin. Are you sure the ones you have been using,through the years, haven't changed and become not as strong?
Hope you can figure out the problem. Good Luck!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 5

It's almost certainly your board!!! Cakes that crack when moved are not supported by a strong enough base. Perhaps the drums you're using have declined in quality??? For cakes over two tiers I use a double layer of 1/2 inch foam core--I glue the two boards together and cover with white fancy foil. Some people like particle board or plywood.

donna247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donna247 Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone. Found out that we have been getting generous with the filling and not enough structure of cake. We are now using less filling and No Cracks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%