Covering The Structure

Decorating By riagirl Updated 16 May 2011 , 12:40am by YellowBrickRd

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I'm making a Tangled cake this week for a party next Saturday. I have all my sizes and structure figured out. I have a PVC pipe which is attached to plywood boards both on top and the bottom (bottom board will hold the cakes and top board will hold the "house"). My question is this: how do I cover the structure so that none of the PVC, screws, etc on the base part come into contact with the cake? Do I just cover the whole structure in fondant then lay my cakes as usual? Thank's for any advice!!

6 replies
YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 7

I have a structure I am doing and I used cake boards and glued them to the plywood (3M adhesive) because I needed it level. That will help. I built them up with the last board I used a box cutter to make a large X to slide down over and it covers it. I then covered the entire plywood board with heavy duty aluminum foil. icon_smile.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

Cover the whole pipe with saran so that it doesn't come into contact with the cake, and it would be easier to slide the cake down then if it was covered in fondant. If i'm understanding your question correctly.... The just decorate any visible supports however you like. Thin gumpaste wrapped around the pole wouldn't be bad either, as long as you have time for it to dry. Good luck, however you decide to go about it!

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

press -n- seal is good too

redbottoms104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbottoms104 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

i am building a stand up tweety bird cake n i already have the wood bast but im not sure if i shuld use pvc pipe or wood for the structure!!!!! and also how do i make the pvc pipe screw into the wood.....

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:05am
post #6 of 7

thanks for the advice! i was thinking saran wrap at one point but I think I'm going to try the press and seal idea. i think that'll give me a neater surface to start with! thanks again!

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:40am
post #7 of 7

Ok I have my glasses now...LOL-you said also cover the pipe icon_redface.gif I have a question about that too-I figured press and seal was ok but what about melting chocolate??? Would that be to difficult?

About attaching the PVC--You need to go to the hardware store (I went to Lowes) and get the flange, and the connector. Depending
on the size PVC you have. I have a 3/4 inch. So I got the galvanized steel 3/4 inch flange and the 3/4 inch connector. It screws into the flange and you insert your PVC.

So press & seal or will chocolate be ok???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%