Wedding Cupcakes:need Advice On Flowers

Baking By cakeitup99 Updated 15 May 2011 , 7:39pm by wafawafa

cakeitup99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeitup99 Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 3

My friend has asked me to make 200 wedding cupcakes which she would like topped with a flower(rose, lilly,etc she's not sure yet). I've only ever done cut out fondant flowers so I'm unsure what material to use. Will fondant hold up a 3D flower? I've never worked with gumpaste but I hear it turns rock hard. Everything needs to be edible, so I wouldn't want guests breaking their teeth! I've read up on adding gum tex to fondant but will that make the fondant turn rock hard or will it still hold some softness. I have plenty of time to experiment as the wedding is not for some time. I've thought of using royal icing, but she likes the look of fondant.

To add, how would you store the cupcakes? Buttercream frosted, and topped with the flower will it wilt in the fridge? ( I know fondant should not be refridgerated).

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2 replies
cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 3

It really depends on the type of flower you need to make. Certain flowers require gum paste, others are ok with just fondant. If she decides on roses, you could always pipe the roses onto the cuppies with butercream, which of course would be more tasty!

As for storing them, if you're making them the night before, I would avoid putting them in the fridge, and just simply leave them on the counter in an airtight container.

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 3

I use fondant for flowers , one day out and they are very nice edible and firm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%