Need Help Re Cupcake Cases

Baking By sharon24 Updated 17 May 2011 , 3:17pm by shady_twist

sharon24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon24 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:28am
post #1 of 6

Hi
I am new to all this but am enjoying baking and decorating cupcakes and celebration cakes. I am in the UK.

I have been tinkering around with recipes for cupcakes and have found a really good tasting moist sponge that keeps well for a good few days, however the cakes keep coming away from the paper case. they are good quality cases from a wholesaler.

What am I doing wrong, how can I tweak the recipe to stop this happening?

This is the recipe I used

250 butter
250 caster sugar
weight of eggs in shells -250g (4 eggs)
350 SR flour
heaped teaspoon baking powder
3 fl oz buttermilk
squeeze lemon juice
vanilla extract

cream fat/sugar add eggs add flour method.

TIA for any advice.

Sharon

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:43am
post #2 of 6

I don't think its your recipe. Are your cases greaseproof? If not, try some of the cases from CakeCraftWorld: http://www.cakecraftworld.co.uk/products.asp?cc=85&scc=203
Also try and remove your cupcakes from the tins as soon as they come out of the oven. This avoids moisture building up in the wells of the tins making the cases come off sometimes (well, in my experience anyway!).

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:20am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon24

Hi
I am new to all this but am enjoying baking and decorating cupcakes and celebration cakes. I am in the UK.

I have been tinkering around with recipes for cupcakes and have found a really good tasting moist sponge that keeps well for a good few days, however the cakes keep coming away from the paper case. they are good quality cases from a wholesaler.

What am I doing wrong, how can I tweak the recipe to stop this happening?

This is the recipe I used

250 butter
250 caster sugar
weight of eggs in shells -250g (4 eggs)
350 SR flour
heaped teaspoon baking powder
3 fl oz buttermilk
squeeze lemon juice
vanilla extract

cream fat/sugar add eggs add flour method.

TIA for any advice.

Sharon

I don't think it is your recipe either. Sometimes a) if there is not enough batter mix in the case and the cake does not rise up enough i find the case comes away b) remove from tin as the other poster said as soon as they are slightly cooled and put on a rack c) check the quality of your cases. Often if they are not good quality they peel away. HTH

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 6

I've had the same problem, especially with my chocolate cupcakes. As others have said, it may be the cases. I bought some from FunkyMuffin.com and they were great. The difference in the quality from the supermarket ones was notable. (although I note that you got yours from a wholesaler). Maybe try a few and see how you go?

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeSooz

I've had the same problem, especially with my chocolate cupcakes. As others have said, it may be the cases. I bought some from FunkyMuffin.com and they were great. The difference in the quality from the supermarket ones was notable. (although I note that you got yours from a wholesaler). Maybe try a few and see how you go?

very true often the quality of cases. I find the PME ones are really good and never had a prob with them. bought some "designer" style cases and half the batch peeled away yet the exact same cake mix! icon_sad.gif

shady_twist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shady_twist Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 6

I'm in the UK too, I use Dr Oetker (supercook) muffin cases and I've never had a problem with these. They are my absolute favourite! I also take the cakes out of the tray as soon as they are out of the oven.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%