Not Sure I Like Smbc

Baking By CreativeCakesbyMichelle Updated 15 May 2011 , 5:50pm by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:04am
post #1 of 8

I finally successfully made a batch of SMBC using the DyannBakes recipe, 4oz egg whites, 8 oz sugar, 12 oz butter. I forgot to buy unsalted butter so I made it with salted butter. In my previous attempt I used carton egg whites and that failed miserably so this time I used regular egg whites and it all came together pretty well, even using a hand mixer.

I added some vanilla flavoring at the end and tasted it. I thought the texture was nice and smooth and not too sweet, but it was definitely a bit salty so I guess using the salted butter wasn't such a good idea. I defrosted a piece of my regular yellow cake to try with it and it tasted like I had just put sweetened butter on top of it. The cake was sweeter than the SMBC and made it seem like there was practically no sweetness to the SMBC at all.

For those of you that have had SMBC before, do you think it was just the salted butter that threw off the taste or do I just not like SMBC? I usually make an all-butter American buttercream and occasionally a cream cheese frosting (with half butter and half cream cheese) so that's what I'm used too. I'll probably try it again with the unsalted butter but I was just wondering if anyone else isn't a big fan of SMBC.

7 replies
LisaPeps Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:44am
post #2 of 8

Using salted butter completely alters the taste. I make IMBC exclusively and hated the taste of the salted version compared to the unsalted. Other people may disagree (there's a thread which discusses Salted vs unsalted).

Try it with the unsalted butter before you completely write it off!

How much flavouring do you add? I make a 5 egg white recipe and add a tablespoon (sometimes more, never less) of vanilla essence.

mcaulir Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:47am
post #3 of 8

Definitely try it with unsalted butter, and a fair amount of vanilla. Adding half a cup of melted white chocolate at the end makes it taste like heaven.

robbemorka Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:25am
post #4 of 8

No salted butter! And try using more sugar if it's not sweet enough.

Lisa_OBrien Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:17am
post #5 of 8

I started out with that recipe, but found it very buttery & not sweet enough. I now use a recipe with 4-5 egg whites, 1.5 cups of sugar and 2 sticks of butter. It is less buttery & a little more sweet. I have made it with both salted & unsalted. I do prefer unsalted, but both are good.

HappyCake10609 Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 8

SMBC is my absolute favorite, ever since I gave it a try a few months ago. It's hard to go back to ABC when I need to!

I have never tried it with salted butter, but I have read that it will absolutely alter the taste of the recipe, from what I read it brings out the butter flavor. It can take bit more flavoring that you think you'll need, so try adding a bit more vanilla to your recipe, I think I would use at least a tablespoon of vanilla for that proportion of buttercream, but I always add it "to taste."

I suggest you give it another shot, definitely with unsalted butter, and try adding a bit more flavoring. It will never be as sweet as ABC though, but that is why I like it so much, it's nice and light in texture and sweetness!

LindaF144a Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

I finally successfully made a batch of SMBC using the DyannBakes recipe, 4oz egg whites, 8 oz sugar, 12 oz butter. I forgot to buy unsalted butter so I made it with salted butter. In my previous attempt I used carton egg whites and that failed miserably so this time I used regular egg whites and it all came together pretty well, even using a hand mixer.

I added some vanilla flavoring at the end and tasted it. I thought the texture was nice and smooth and not too sweet, but it was definitely a bit salty so I guess using the salted butter wasn't such a good idea. I defrosted a piece of my regular yellow cake to try with it and it tasted like I had just put sweetened butter on top of it. The cake was sweeter than the SMBC and made it seem like there was practically no sweetness to the SMBC at all.

For those of you that have had SMBC before, do you think it was just the salted butter that threw off the taste or do I just not like SMBC? I usually make an all-butter American buttercream and occasionally a cream cheese frosting (with half butter and half cream cheese) so that's what I'm used too. I'll probably try it again with the unsalted butter but I was just wondering if anyone else isn't a big fan of SMBC.

I use SMBC all the time. I definitely think your salted butter is the culprit. I made a batch with 12 egg whites using the same formula you did. I mistakenly put in about 2 sticks of the salted butter. It was absolutely awful and I could not use it. All that product wasted.

Like I have said before SMBC is the BASE to add more flavoring. I never, ever serve straight SMBC. It is always flavored in some way.

And always use unsalted butter. Others like the salty taste, but not me. I felt it tasted just like salted buttered popcorn just like you get a the movie theater. It just goes to show how much salt and butter they put on that stuff!

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I will give it another try with the unsalted butter and probably try your ingredient proportions Lisa_Obrien. My taste tester (boyfriend) is getting home today from visiting family so I'm going to get his opinion too. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%