Need Mermaid/underwater Cake Ideas - Asap!!

Decorating By tpjefferson Updated 15 May 2011 , 6:20am by YellowBrickRd

tpjefferson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpjefferson Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:17am
post #1 of 8

First post in the forum...but I'm desperate and am finding that this forum has been very helpful for others...I'm enjoying reading other's postings!!

Anyways, I got an order for a mermaid cake next weekend (May 21st). However, she doesn't want the Disney Little Mermaid look. It's for a little girl's third birthday party and she's decorating in blue and green with underwater stuff (i.e. crabs, jelly fish, etc.). I'm at a loss! I haven't ever done a person with fondant, much less a mermaid and I'm scared it's not going to turn out right.

The pics I've found on the CC Gallery haven't been very helpful; they are either Little Mermaid themed or something I'm not too fond of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My skills aren't AMAZING, but I'm a fairly decent cake-decorator.

Thanks.

7 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #2 of 8

I've seen people use the wonder mold pan to make it look like a mermaid. You could also do a fbct if you are doing a sheet cake or a single tiered cake. You could also do a regular underwater cake, and use a doll as a topper. Add fondant scales/fins to the doll to turn her into a mermaid icon_smile.gif I hope that gives you a couple of ideas...

tpjefferson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpjefferson Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:56am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the suggestions...I was beginning to think no one was going to respond! Just a couple of questions:

What kind of doll and regular underwater cake are you talking about?
What is the wonder mold pan?

I'm thinking of doing a tiered cake, but not sure yet.

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:12am
post #4 of 8

The Wonder Mold pan is sold in 2 sizes- the mini which is 4 cups on the pan or 1 large. These are the pans used to make the doll cakes. If you choose, you could purchase the smaller size doll in the Barbie section or doll of your choice. You can use a cupcake in place of the wonder mold if you need to. A tierd cake would be pretty. Each layer could have all the things you listed above with water bubbles. The mermaid could be perched on the edge of one tier. icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:41am
post #5 of 8

Okay, I am not the best decorator, but here is my mermaid cake I made a few weeks ago that looked better in person that the photos icon_redface.gif Anyways, the under water theme is easy and fast to do. I made coral out of hot pink BC, made seaweed with the leaf tip, and you can do bubbles with just a round 12 or 10 tip. Wilton makes candy molds that look like seashells! I am posting two links of two different mermaid cakes I have done.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998924
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1920044

YellowBrickRd Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:47am
post #6 of 8

Gorgeous ConfectionsCC!!! I love the details! icon_biggrin.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:20am
post #8 of 8

Those are awesome!!!! Let us know what you decide to do!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%