Buttercream Peeling Off Cake!!!

Decorating By Bri122005 Updated 15 May 2011 , 1:32am by Bri122005

Bri122005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri122005 Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

I've been working on two cakes today. Used the same buttercream to ice both. One cake is hazelnut vanilla cake, and it was fine. The cake is finished and beautiful. The other cake is red velvet. I'm piping a big swirling design on this cake with the buttercream and it's just falling off! Can't be the icing because it worked beautifully on the other cake. What is going on?!?! Cake is due tomorrow, and I'm catering a graduation dinner tomorrow night. So, I can't work on it tomorrow - have to finish this tonight. Please help if you have any tricks I can try.

3 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:23am
post #2 of 4

Is it too hot in the kitchen? Maybe put it in the fridge for 15 min or so? I really don't k ow if that will help but good luck!

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 4

The fridge will help. Sometimes the heat from your hands thins it out-I had that disaster on Mothers Day. If you are icing the side that would've been the bottom, sometimes the non-stick spray can affect its ability to stick (had this happen too icon_redface.gif ) Good luck with your cake!!

Bri122005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri122005 Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 4

Thank you. It is hot and extremely humid today. I've put it in the fridge and am praying it helps. Won't take it out until delivery tomorrow. I'll have to have an extra big decoratin kit with me when I deliver!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%