Number Of Servings?

Decorating By TerrieC Updated 15 May 2011 , 1:52pm by TerrieC

TerrieC Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 6

I am confused , I was looking around to see what size cake to make for a bridal shower that would serve 50. After surfing around a bit, it seems that there is a big difference in what different size cake serves, depending on which site chart you use. I need to know what size cake I would need, party size servings. Any help would be appreciated very much. I was going to do a 14 in round, but some charts show that won't be enough and others say it will.

Thanks

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 6

If you use any chart other than the industry standard (8 cu. in.) Wilton wedding cake serving guide, you're giving away extra cake for free.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

TerrieC Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #3 of 6

Well I only do cakes for family and friends, so giving away extra cake is the norm. icon_biggrin.gif I just like to have more, not less. But I guess going by that chart even if they cut pieces a bit larger, I should be ok with the 14 inch round. Thanks

indydebi Posted 15 May 2011 , 7:39am
post #4 of 6

No kidding! A 14" round serves over 75 people! icon_eek.gif

bakingkat Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:25am
post #5 of 6

Another thing to keep in mind, most serving charts are assuming it's a 4"tall cake. So 3 1"layers plus filling and frosting to =about 4 inches, or 2 layers, split and filled =about 4". If your cake is going to be shorter in height, say 2" you wouldn't get the same servings. Just thought i'd mention this in case you didn't know. icon_smile.gif

TerrieC Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 6

My cakes are 4 inches, so I should get the suggested number of servings. As for having leftovers I know my husband can never have enough cake icon_smile.gif and other friends just take the leftovers to work the next day.

I have lurked around these forums for almost a year now and have learned some great things from reading your posts and would like to say thanks to all you people for the information and advice you give. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%