The Skinny On Simple Syrup

Decorating By Dr_Hfuhruhurr Updated 15 May 2011 , 2:10am by Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 5

I've noticed that many cake recipes and decorating books advise to sprinkle simple syrup over cake layers to keep them moist. I've also noticed, when eating professionally made cakes, that it seems to be a popular technique--because the cakes are super moist and almost 'wet' in the middle.

So, my question: How in heck do you do this properly? Whenever I try to sprinkle syrup on my cakes, I just end up with the top 1/4" or so being wet and mushy, but the syrup doesn't seem to penetrate any further down. I've tried riddling the cake with small holes, cutting the very top crust off before sprinkling, and a variety of application methods (from a silicone brush, to a spray bottle, to just slowly pouring it over the cake).

If anyone can give me any tips on doing this correctly, I'd be very grateful.

4 replies
Dayti Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried any of those methods but changing the temperature? You can try hot syrup on cold cake, or cold syrup on hot cake (just out of the oven, still in the pan). That should work. I have had success pricking the cake with a toothpick and putting room temp syrup on hot cake. You do need to wait for the cake to cool completely before attempting to unmold it though.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

I didn't even think to try that. Thanks very much!!

soledad Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

How do you know how much syrup to put in each layer? example
8 in. round x 2in. ??
10 in round x 2in. ??
Thank you! icon_redface.gif

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #5 of 5

Good question. I'd also like to know if there is an optimal amount. The Cake Bible suggests 5 cups of syrup for a 3-tier genoise (150 servings). But, a more universal ratio would certainly be helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%