Frosting Under Fondant Help

Decorating By lmnissen Updated 14 May 2011 , 11:27pm by Chef_Stef

lmnissen Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 5

I'm pretty new to cake making, but I want to make my boyfriend a Mario themed cake for his 30th birthday. I'm having some trouble finding a frosting that will both work well with fondant and be something he will like. I've made several buttercream and chocolate buttercream recipes but he really dislikes all of them. He's comparing them to our local bakery (which is awesome) so I know he wants something buttery and chocolatey but not too sweet. The problem is all the ones I think he'll like are the ones that i'm not sure will work with fondant. They either have whipping cream in the recipe or no shortening and all butter. Do you think that would hold up well under fondant? The filling is a peanut butter cup mousse, so the cake will be refrigerated anyway. Of course, I could always try a peanut butter frosting, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work well with fondant either. Ugh, if only he was less picky icon_smile.gif

4 replies
sparkle25 Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 5

I use a buttercream that is made with butter and no shortening and I've never had a problem with it under fondant. The other option you could try is ganache, though depending on the recipe it can be very sweet.

cole10 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 5

I also use a couple of different flavored buttercream that contain butter and no shortening. They have a good consistency and crust well.

YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 5

I make a Peanut Butter BC frosting and I add salt in to cut sweetness and it works just fine. Add peanut butter to your regular recipie and salt and go from there. Beware though sometimes when you put fondant in the fridge it can get dark blotches on it. The filling sounds YUMMY!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 5

I put every fondant cake in the fridge, but my fridge at the shop is so humid that I always have to box the cakes first as opposed to leaving them unboxed, but it works.

You should be fine, and it sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%