Candy Melt Problem.

Sugar Work By HelPup Updated 15 May 2011 , 3:30am by leah_s

 HelPup  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelPup Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 7

I finished rolling up my cakepops and was going about the next step of melting up some chocolate. I set up my makeshift double boiler but when the candy melted it became thick and greasy with little lumps. It looked sort of like a dough! icon_confused.gif

I've used these before with the exact same method but I never had such a problem. The only difference is that I'm using lavender color whereas I used plain white chocolate before.

Also my microwave is sparking so I can't try that. ): What should I do? icon_sad.gif

6 replies
 Eisskween  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

Did you add lavender coloring? If so, that might have been what seized it. I know chocolate needs a special coloring. You can't just use the same thing you use for icing. Just a thought. Once seized, it's done. You have to start over.

 HelPup  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelPup Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 7

It came in the bag already colored.

 bakencake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 7

by any chance did you get water in there? that's what happened when i dipped my brush in water and then put it back in the candy melts.

 katnmouse  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely sounds like seized chocolate. If your double boiler wasn't tight enough or if you water was too high, some steam may have condensed and run into your candy causing it to seize. Unfortunately there is nothing to do with it but to throw it out and start over.

 cakesrock  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #6 of 7

[quote="Also my microwave is sparking so I can't try that. ): What should I do? icon_sad.gif[/quote]

Had this problem too and all you have to do is lower your power to 5 or 6 and keep an eye on it. Easier and less clean up than a double boiler!

 leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:30am
post #7 of 7

Either the lavender chocolate was old, or it got too hot. Lavender chocolate is really white chocolate and is *very* temperature sensitive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%