Your Favourite Gumpaste Flowers?

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:43pm by Fairytale

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 13

So im getting bored from the gumpaste flowers i usually do and i need some new ideas. So i was wondering what are the gumpaste flowers that you get asked for frequently or what kinds do you usually like to do?
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 13

Hmmm . . . my favorite flowers are whatever iIordered and have just been delivered by the big brown truck.

Not really helpful, I know.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 13

I've been working on color and shading. These roses and hydrangeas were made with four slightly varying shades of gumpaste and I mixed a few shades of pearl dust for the shading. (Please ignore the date on the pic; I don't know how to program that correctly on my camera icon_redface.gif)

Edited...trying again with a link instead of an img...

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g357/lindacloutier/VWC2.jpg

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gif Leah your so funny!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 13

Well if we knew what flowers you have been making we might have some others to suggesticon_smile.gif
Have you seen this just posted description on making dasies? http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2033675/

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 13

You people are mean icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 13

How are they being mean?

Leah has many of times stated on this board that she only buys gum paste flowers.

Rylan has a post around here somewhere that has links to tons of different flowers. That would be a good place to look when wanting to do something different. It has traditional flower how to's like for roses but also many other different flowers out there.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 13

I also don't get how anyone was mean. Like Texas Sugar stated, Leah says she purchases, Rylan gave you a link to see a flower being made, which while I can make daisies I had never seen them made like that and theink that they are beautiful. The only other person who commented said that it is hard to give you feedback on other flowers since we don't know what flowers you know. Have you only taken a the Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste course so you can only make those flowers, or have you learned how to make others. Some people like to help with sharing links or the process to do the flowers but you are asking them to possibly waste their time finding or writing out instructions for a flower you already may know how to make.

If you let us know what flowers you know how to make, it makes it easier for us to know what to possibly suggest as some of our favorites.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeastic

You people are mean icon_sad.gif

You ask for ideas and then diss those who answer and give suggestions to boot!

If you're referring to the question about what flowers you've been making, it's a valid question... we don't want to suggest what you already know how to make. I would have asked the same question, but now I'll refrain from offering any help at all.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 13

My favorite flowers to make are those of my own creation. I take the cutters and make something that looks pretty but may not necessarily be a flower that exists in nature. I love using gumpaste!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeastic

So im getting bored from the gumpaste flowers i usually do and i need some new ideas. So i was wondering what are the gumpaste flowers that you get asked for frequently or what kinds do you usually like to do?
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Hi, so far I've mainly make gum paste roses and calla lilies. That seems to be the only flowers most people ask for on their cakes. So, lately, I have been tinkering with other gum paste flowers like the peony, hydrangeas, and tulips. I'm looking at currently, how to make the orchid and the tiger lily, just found an old tutorial from an old Wilton book. Feel free to look at my pictures. I love making gum paste flowers, they are relaxing to make with the exception of having to make 50 for a single project, then I find it be yucky! (LOL) Hope this Helps

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 13

I love making orchids, especially cymbidiums. I also like making iceland poppies, ferns and Irish bells. I usually get asked to make roses, moth orchids and peonies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%