Smbc In Outside Heat??

Decorating By MrsMoe07 Updated 15 May 2011 , 5:00am by scp1127

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 6

I'm ready to try SMBC, but don't know if it's ideal for the outside heat. Am I asking for trouble not knowing what the weather will be or can SMBC hold in the heat?

I'm making cupcakes with smbc with fondant cupcake toppers. Some sitting flat on top and others I was going to use the 1M tip and stick the fondant circle in standing up, if that helps.

5 replies
MrsMoe07 Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 6

SMBC melts horribly in the heat. Shortening based bc is much better. It can usually take up to 85 degree temps.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

I agree... I would not use SMBC. It is my favorite, and I wish I could use it for some wedding cupcakes I'm doing in July... but it melts at a relatively low temperature.

I just made a cake 2 weeks ago, and it was in the upper 70's here in New England. I was working in and out of the fridge to make it work, but it was still like working with really soft whipped cream, it was just too soft. I even had my husband put in one of the window air conditioners in the kitchen, and only with that was I able to "muddle" through.

Definitely use a shortening based buttercream or you could be looking at disaster!

MrsMoe07 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6

icon_sad.gif Ok this is what I thought but couldn't find anywhere to confirm. Well if it rains I'll have something to look forward to.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:00am
post #6 of 6

My IMBC and FBC firm up to cold butter consistency. If they want it outside, it must be kept indoors or refrigerated until it is ready to be cut. If someone wants European buttercream, they will not be happy with ABC. Taking care of the cake is always my suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%