Christening Book Cake

Decorating By Caker16 Updated 23 May 2011 , 10:54pm by Caker16

Caker16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker16 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 4

I am about to make a christening book cake out of White Cake and Vanilla buttercream. I was simply wondering if anyone has any tips for how to make a realistic and simple open book look from two 9" x 13" cakes side by side. This is my first time making a cake like this and would love any tips! Thanks in advance!

3 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:56am
post #2 of 4

I placed the cakes side by side and sculpted the center and the edges to resemble an open book. Take a large bread knife and cut each edge in the center into a rolled v. On the outside edges cut the top edges from the center edge rolling it just a little down to the board. I covered mine in butter cream and then fondant. I used a pizza cutter to gently imprint lines to resemble the pages on the top bottom and sides. I used silver fondant glaze and painted the book edges. In the center I placed a ribbon from top to bottom to cover where the book joins. I looked like a fancy book mark that you would find in a bible. Fabric stores and even Walmart have some really nice ribbon cheap. you can also roll out a piece of fondant to lay on the top of the cake and roll up the edges to look like pages. Hope this helps.

Caker16 Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it turns out

Caker16 Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 4

So I ended up making three 9x13 cakes. Put two side by side for either side of the book and then cut the third in half length wise and placed each half in the center of them. I then carved the sides down to give it a curved open book look. If you'd like to see a photo check it out here or in my photos. Thanks for the tips!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2043694
www.carlyscakes.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%