Beginning Rose Question

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 15 May 2011 , 1:38am by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 14

i'm very beginning, not had my third level 1 class, yet. But I wanted to try making flowers. The easy flowers I did great. The rose, I guess I need a drop of glue to adhere the parchment paper to the nail. Then, I turn it in my hand. Can I use the cake turner for it? i have dropped it twice.

Also, can roses be piped out of gum paste? or is that the kit, with the the flowers, and the molds?

13 replies
YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 14

I actually think making roses out of gumpaste or fondant is easier than BC. I have the same problem with the nail. The seasoned decoraters say practice practice practice which is what Im doing with the BC but if I need roses right away I use the fondant or GP..lot's of tutorials on Youtube and prob in the sticky notes. If I can ever master the darn BC rose I will gladly post it-LOL icon_lol.gif

Unlimited Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonlynn

The rose, I guess I need a drop of glue to adhere the parchment paper to the nail. Then, I turn it in my hand. Can I use the cake turner for it?

You don't need to use parchment paper at allyou can pipe the rose directly on the flathead rose nail and remove with a pair of scissors, but yes... if using the paperjust pipe a dot of BC to hold it in place.
(sorrydon't know what you mean by cake turner.)

weirkd Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 14

If you check out YouTube there are several tutorials on how to make a buttercream rose on there.
Gumpaste is the consistancy of a pie dough but stretchy. You cannot pipe it in a piping bag. It needs to be rolled out with either a rolling pin or better yet a pasta machine. Then you use cutters and veiners to create your flowers with. If your having trouble using buttercream try using royal icing which is thicker. Also, if you watch the You Tube videos, you can see you can do them on scissors if your having trouble with the thumbnail. But the key to anything in this business is practicing. Some people are better at piping and buttercream roses and others like me, are better using gumpaste! I find it was easier to learn how to make a rose in gumpaste. Then after I figured that out the buttercream ones came out much better becauseI figured out how the flower worked.

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 14

I'm going to practice flowers with Royal icing. Then gum paste...I realllly want that gum paste flower kit by Wilton's. But i'm going to practice all day with Royal. I actually think that's our next class, or it might be the 4th. I saw some gorgous roses, out of royal icing yesterday,at the cake shop...I shouldv'e bought one, so I could see it.

I know, practice, practice practice, which I don't mind at all. I've already gotten over the fact that I have to throw away icing, no biggie. so now to practice with it.

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 14

Watching this on Youtube, I could make a gumpaste flower easier than a piped flower.

SarahBeth3 Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 14

If you want to make gum paste roses, I found this way to be so easy. From the very first time my roses came out way better than I expected!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6teAcewmZY&feature=feedf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Im_zVSkkZU&feature=feedf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZY6NFyEkY&feature=feedf

Unlimited Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonlynn

I've already gotten over the fact that I have to throw away icing, no biggie. so now to practice with it.

There's no need to throw away icing... if you make a rose that you likekeep it, let it dry, and use it on a cake. Those that you don't likemix back into your icing bowl for practicing the next time.

YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 14

thumbs_up.gif The BC rose whips me every time. I will keep practicing. My icing may not be thick enough...thank goodness for gumpaste!

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 14

Returned from our store, The Cake Rack. Bought....gum paste, the soon to be discontinued Wilton gum paste kit with all the leaves and bud silicone"cookie cutters" with all the stuff needed. And, to avoid any more Crisco on everything, I bought Satin Ice fondant, knowing i can add pretty boarders, and hopefully can pipe it in butter cream thick consistency or even Royal icing,but i'd rather use butter cream. And a cool book full of patterns.

I bought white fondant, can I add ivory gel color to it? Can I put butter cream boarders on top of fondant? Can't wait to make it.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 14

I've read other posts on here where people said when they use the Wilton ivory gel color it ends up a nasty orange color. So if you want to add ivory color I would suggest using a different brand. Or possibly a tiny amount of brown/tan color. You shouldn't have any problem putting buttercream borders on top of fondant.

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

It's not professional...I believe I can do the same thing with white. Then I'll add pink boarders, or whatever. lol, I should ice it with fondant for my final cake in my level 1 class. Fondant just looks better.

Or come in with little roses made of royal icing or gum paste and I probably will do that on Tuesday. I need some green florist wire for my gumpaste flowers, and I'll be good to go. Looks like alot of fun, too bad its' a bit late to start anything now. It's cool cause it can go on a cake or in a vase. I like the kit I got,and am glad I got it.

Rhonlynn Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth3

If you want to make gum paste roses, I found this way to be so easy. From the very first time my roses came out way better than I expected!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6teAcewmZY&feature=feedf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Im_zVSkkZU&feature=feedf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZY6NFyEkY&feature=feedf

Thank you for the links! Those are fantastic! I feel like watching them,and making the flower at the same time.

Rhonlynn Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:38am
post #14 of 14

Gum paste works better than Fimo clay. I have made a giraffe, and bear, and beads, and other stuff from Fimo clay. But this is fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%