What Size Cakes To Make

Decorating By shellyb05 Updated 17 May 2011 , 2:48am by Marianna46

shellyb05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellyb05 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 4

Hi this is my first time making a 4 tier cake. It is for 200-250 people. I am having trouble with what size to make each tier. Every chart is different. I was going to use 14,12,10,8. Should I make a sheet cake too to keep in the kitchen just in case we need more cake? This is the biggest one I have made.I am very worried. I would love some ideas.
Thank you,
Shelly B

3 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Shelly and congrats on your first "mega cake"...

I look at the wilton website for cake serving sizes, and if you're following the wilton standard for serving sizes (assuming its a round cake) it breaks down to:
14" - 78 serv
12" - 56 serv
10" - 38 serv
8" - 24 serv

giving you a total of 196 servings... that's a bit less than the 200-250 they're expecting. Are they serving or keeping their top tier? That will change your servings as well..
A kitchen cake is always a good option as back up.. and they're quick and easy (no decorating), so they're a time saver as well.
Another option is if they're keeping their top tier, a 16/14/12 with a 10" keeper, will serve 234.
I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Katie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4

There are many, many different ways to come up with that # of servings.
Do you want all rounds; all squars, all hearts, ovals or others shapes?
How about a combination of sq, round or sq on heart?
You can make a base of four 8" rounds, then put a 14, 10, 6 on top of that.
OR make the base of three 9" hearts w/the rounds on top
OR make a base of one 12x18x4 w/a 12", 9" and 6" heart on top - stacked or pillared
OR, OR, OR......many other combinations.
I am not a fan of cakes that are like 14, 12, 10, 8, 6. They are difficult to deliver and put together. Much greater risk of the cake falling. I would use it ONLY if the design *demanded* it.

Whatever you end up doing the top tier should be no bigger than an 8 or 6. In any case it can be part of the cake/display OR boxed for the couple to keep. A 10" is WAY, way too big for a keeper cake! Look how much money you are giving away (38 servings X an average of $3.50 per serving = $125-$150 worth!!)

For future knowledge find and memorize how many servings each tier will give you. (Like the list given by CutieMcCakes) You can mark it on the bottom or side of each pan.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #4 of 4

Why would you give away the keeper tier? I don't disagree that 10" is too big for that, but do you have a policy of donating the top tier? (I'm not trying to be crabby, although it's late and I have the feeling I'm coming across that way, but I'm really interested).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%