I Need Your Display Ideas:)!!!

Decorating By lsz1978 Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 4:39pm by sjlilley

lsz1978 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 15

i am making a graduation cake and 400 cake pops with graduation caps (with lion's tails for the tassel) for may 28th.

originally i was making cupcakes and planned on having 2-3 tiers of cupcakes with the top tier the actual cake (a 3 stacked book cake with a map and college pinpoints plus some gumpaste accents on the books... like a whale's tail for Moby Dick and flies for Lord of the Flies, etc.).

now, with the cake pops, i'm not sure how to display them all???

ANY THOUGHTS? if i am constructing this, i need to plan ahead...

14 replies
Allie06 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 15

Sooooo many pops! I have a friend who constructs and paints her own stands, like a stair case...something like that painted in school colors might be your best bet?

sjlilley Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 15

I love the stairway idea!
On cupcake wars they almost always do some kind of tiered display.
If the cake is books maybe you could do a bookcase? You could paint the sides to look like old wood that's been carved by decades of students - things like hearts with intials, Class of ? or 'kilroy was here' (I'm showing my age icon_wink.gif ) Though I would avoid the one that seemed the most popular when I was in school, "school s*cks"!
styro to stick the pops in; maybe a few stacks of books on the shelves for atmosphere. Good luck! thats alotta pops!

YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 15

I like the bookshelf idea!!!! That would be awesome. Maybe add a gumpaste apple, a little picture frame with a diploma...wow the possibilities with accents you would do with that thumbs_up.gif

lsz1978 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 15

i know... the possibilities are endless! that's why i need your help! i cannot wrap my brain around this oneicon_smile.gif!

i just found out that the cake and cake pops will be on a table in the center of the room... kind-of like a center piece, so the cake has to look good from all sides. would that work with the bookcase idea? i really like that idea... i'm just trying to envision it.

can you all help me see it? and will that work from all sides?

i also found this idea... the books would be in the middle with cake pops around it. here's the link...

http://sweetlaurencakes.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/lauren_chris_wed0900.jpg?w=585&h=879

let me know if you can't see what i'm talking about.

thanksicon_smile.gif!!!

YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 15

Saw the pic...trying to fig out...maybe the bookshelf could be open? That way both sides could be visible..instead of flower vases, you could have a vase look like a rolled up diploma with ribbon around it and the pops sticking out of that similiar to the pic you posted? If not, do the stairway idea, but have it be 4 sided-leading to a middle platform with your centerpiece there. icon_smile.gif

lsz1978 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 15

okay... i'm freaking out!!!

my husband doesn't have time to make a staircase for the grad cake, and i don't know what to put them in.

the issue is that i have 400 pops to fit on a table!!! i am looking at glass bowl vases, but i'm not sure what size to get and how shallow (which affects the length of the lollipop sticks)... how many will they hold? also... what will i fill them with for a low price? (http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floatingbowl.html)

i have also found these cool pots, covered in birch (http://www.save-on-crafts.com/birchpots1.html), but i feel like i need to figure out how to tie that to the cake.

lastly, i have found 4 in high plastic black & white pots, but i can't decide if that looks too cheap or right at all? (http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floralpots.html)

do you all have any other ideas that are relatively easy and not too expensive? i'm going crazy hereicon_smile.gif... and would love to hear from other creative folks!!!icon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 15

I display cake pops in a glass bowl filled with sugar. Cheap 'n' easy icon_biggrin.gif

sjlilley Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 15

I'm talking off the top of my head so this is not refined but I still think the stairway idea might work. again with styro to stick the pops in.
If you have 4 sides then maybe you could use 3 or 4 sizes of boxes, each tier with 24 to 33 pops in it. You would need a center platform taller than the stacked boxes (I'm thinking milk crate) and then cover the whole thing with a nice table cloth. I don't know how much it would cost but UPS stores will build you a cardboard box to your size. then you could paint the styro and cover the edges with ribbon. ??
Possibly you could go to a shoe store and get a dozen identical shoe boxes? Wrap them with duct tape to keep them together?

Too shabby or too unstable? don't know just brainstorming!

sjlilley Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 15

Or maybe try pizza boxes

YellowBrickRd Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 15

If hubby is to busy to build I agree with sjlilley. Do the stairway with the styrofoam. And duct tape is a girls best friend!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lsz1978 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 15

here is what i ended up doing for the cake truffles... and you can see the book cake tooicon_smile.gif!

lsz1978 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 15

sorry... here's the link!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2055172

Colorful-Bliss Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 15

Man I was too late on this one. I was going to say maybe something hanging? Like those paper decorations Martha Stewart does. You could have stuck the cake balls into round styro and hung then not sure if it could work just throwing it out there.

sjlilley Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 15

This is beautiful! and classy! you did a really great job! I'm impressed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%