Mmf Problems On Wedding Cake

Decorating By jsc2010 Updated 14 May 2011 , 5:15pm by cakesrock

jsc2010 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 5

I have made MMF many times successfully and never had trouble. Last night I was covering my cakes and when I got the MMF on, it had a pitted texture almost like it was a little to dry. It rolled out great but when I transferred it to the cake from the mat the underside wasn't so smooth when I put it on the cake. Never had that happen before. It is on the wedding cake and I am wondering how I can fix this without redo-ing the whole thing. The cake will have a ribbon around and tiny dots but I don't think that will hide this. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Am wondering if I wet my hands slightly and rub it down if it will smooth it out???
Any suggestions!

4 replies
malene541 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

I know if you get it wet you will have a super sticky mess! There wouldn't be any way to smooth it out because you hand will just stick to it.
I haven't had this happen before but I wonder if the fondant got a little bit warm if it would settle down? Maybe try a blow dryer on warm (not hot) and see if it helps a little??

cakesrock Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 5

I have had this happen too and I think that it happens from the MMF getting stretched going onto the cake and/or not kneading and sifting enough (and having lumpy icing sugar). Did you use a different brand of icing sugar? When you put on fondant and you have way too much, it will stretch and cause this...
For your current dilemna... smoke and mirrors.... I don't think the wet hands will work, but try a fondant smoother (if you haven't already) with shortening. The dots are a good idea. Do you have a dot impression mat? You could try that, even. I've never successfully got rid of that pitted look, but I've covered it up pretty good... Most people wouldn't notice.
I also saw a video (Sugarshack's?) where she painted the whole cake with vanilla or alcohol mixed with lustre dust to minimize errors and uneven shine, if I am recalling correctly. Review your SS videos, if you have them! It really helped. I think if you do RI dots, let them dry, then do the lustre dust paint job, ribbon etc.. you will really minimize the pitted look ! And if all else fails and you don't want to rip off the existing fondant and re-crumb coat, then put another layer of fondant over(buy or make more). You could do one more light 'crumb coat' to cover he pits. It is a lot of fondant, but I've done it. Most people peel off the fondant on a wedding cake anyway....
Good luck and please let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

jsc2010 Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for all your advice. I ended up putting shortening on my hands and rubbing it all over and the warmth from my hands softened a little. Then I used my smoother and then I decided to use some leftover MMF and roll paper thin and recovered. Problem solved. Not flawless as I'd prefer but with the decorations it looks good.
Yes my xx sugar was a different brand but I did sift it before adding.

cakesrock Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc2010

Thanks for all your advice. I ended up putting shortening on my hands and rubbing it all over and the warmth from my hands softened a little. Then I used my smoother and then I decided to use some leftover MMF and roll paper thin and recovered. Problem solved. Not flawless as I'd prefer but with the decorations it looks good.
Yes my xx sugar was a different brand but I did sift it before adding.

great - glad it worked out! Had another thought for the future since the warmth worked- steam the entire cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%