Icing Color - Getting The Color In The Icing

Decorating By augurey Updated 15 May 2011 , 9:12pm by augurey

augurey Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake that I'm making for late afternoon today. I need to get the icing a dark blue. I have the Wilton Royal Blue icing color however after using it, I only have a light blue, and I need it darker, more true to the Royal Blue color.

I just checked the Wilton Icing Color chart and the Royal Blue seems to be the darkest, but in my icing, it's not very dark. True, it's a white icing, so I know that's going to make a difference. Is there any way I can fix this to make it darker?

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 9

Yes..You can purchase another couple of bottles of Wilton and put it in..Your icing may taste a bit bitter though..Best bet is invest in Americolor or chefmaster colors for the future!

augurey Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion!

I will definitely look into Americolor and/or Chefmaster for future. Is one preferable over the other or are they about the same as far as preference goes?

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 9

They are both really good...

cheatize Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Dark blue- like navy blue? If so, add a teeny touch of black to it. I recently used both Americolor and Wilton Royal Blue and found no difference between the two. Both took a lot of color to achieve Royal Blue.

Cupcations Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #6 of 9

I used both Americolor & Wilton & noticed a big differnce
Americolor is more intense & the colors darken beautifully. Wilton is ok but I would never buy it again unless I really have to

Back to the subject... I would try more food coloring, and try making your BC a day or 2 in advance next time, to get the best results your food coloring should settle for some time, it will darken more with time

& if you want navy blue add purple & a touch of black it to your royal blue BC

HTH

augurey Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions!

I considered using black, but I was afraid that it would turn black, so I opted not to so I wouldn't have to make a new batch of icing. I did notice that it did darker after it settled.

Between mixing in a lot more royal blue and adding in violet, I was able to get it to darken, and while I was icing the cake and after the cake sat for a bit, I noticed it darkened. I didn't get it as dark as I would have liked, but it worked.

I do plan on trying other brands of coloring so I can get the effects others. Being so new to this, it seems like Wilton has always been "the" brand, but I guess that's mainly because it's what I see stores/craft stores sell. It's been a big eye opener coming here to see that Wilton is not the only brand (and not always the preferred brand either).

I will definitely keep this information on hand for future reference. I originally made my icing the evening before as I was just doing a practice cake, but late at night/early morning it became more of a last minute cake, but it still managed to work out in the end.

I do have some baking projects coming up that will require me to achieve darker colors, so I will definitely make the icing/coloring in advance.

mileyjonas Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 9

i had the same issue! i used the wilton royal blue for cookie monster cupcakes, but i wanted a darker blue for a yankees cake. i basically ended up using two containers of the royal blue and let it sit in the fridge and it was the exact color i needed! and the icing tasted just fine - fair warning though, don't be surprised if you have blue coming out of you.

augurey Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 9

LOL my boyfriend decided to snack on some of the left over frosting and his mouth was blue. Thankfully I didn't have to use all that I had, so hopefully blue won't be coming out icon_razz.gif But wow, that's just really something to keep in mind about coloring. Two containers is a lot, but then again, since visiting this forum, I'm learning a lot, and a lot has surprised me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%