Ganache - Please Help Me

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 14 May 2011 , 12:02pm by sweettreat101

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #1 of 8

I've made chocolate ganache quite few times by now, but for some reason, it did NOT turn out quite right today. It didn't ever 'thicken' up like it normally does when I'm done stirring it....to that truffle like texture.

I used the recipe found here on CC:

12 oz. semisweet baking chocolate
1 oz. sugar
8 oz. whipping cream

After seeing that it wasn't going to thicken up, after several hours at room temp, I attempted to do so myself by adding a little sifted powdered sugar (not even 1/4 c.), I didn't want to add to much, as I was not wanting it to turn to the icing texture. I popped it in the fridge for about 30 mins, took it out & whipped it with my mixer & now it's still too hard to spread & certainly NOT my truffle texture. Anything I can do? Cake is due Sunday, but I was hoping to have it all filled/crumbcoated tonight.

Thanks,
Crystal

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:11am
post #2 of 8

I've never used sugar to thicken ganache normally I add more chocolate to thicken it up. If at room temp it is too thick, heat a little more cream and add that to warmed ganache to thin it out. Did you use a different brand of chocolate or cream? Weather does effect how quickly it sets up. Next time before you add anything to it you may try and thicken it up I the fridge instead of adding ingredients...just a thought. I hope it works out for you.

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:59am
post #3 of 8

I used the same brands as always. The only thing I think I might have done differently, is let it boil a little longer (2 cakes = serious multi-tasking). I just added some more cream & it helped!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
Did I say Thank you?

Crystal

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:13am
post #4 of 8

What type of ganache are you aiming for?

Pouring/soft ganache
1 part dark chocolate to 1 part cream

Frosting/icing ganache
2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream
3 parts milk or White chocolate to 1 part cream

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:40am
post #5 of 8

Your ratios are off. I've never heard of adding sugar to ganache so I don't know how that affects the consistency. But the ratio for spreadable ganache when using dark chocolate is 2 parts choc to 1 part cream. Your ratio was 3 to 2 so you have to much cream. Should have been 12oz choc to 6oz cream. Just remelt what you have already and add 4oz of chocolate to your mixture and it should be fine.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:54am
post #6 of 8

I have to agree, I have never heard of adding sugar to ganache. A little butter to make it shiny, but not sugar or powder sugar. Sorry! To thicken add more melted chocolate to thin add more heavy whipping cream. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 8

I never add sugar. I use one 12 ounce pack semi sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter and a splash of vanilla. I heat the cream until it boils and then remove from heat. Add chocolate and butter and stir until melted. Add vanilla and let cool. If I want a thinner ganache I use 1 cup cream.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

If you want a truffle like texture for filling once the ganache has cooled whip with a mixer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%