Cake Recipes W/ Booze

Baking By stefkovic Updated 27 May 2011 , 7:10pm by simplysouthern

stefkovic Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:27am
post #1 of 13

For my sons 21st birthday, I want to do a "Cake Bar". I have found two recipes, one for a margarita cake (tequila), and another for a fuzzy navel cake (vodka and peach schnapps), I would like a couple more, something more then just the old rum cake or balls. Need something more for the younger crowd. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated.

12 replies
ayerim979 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 13

Well check out this threat

"janieltilda" has good advice hope this helps.

LeeBD Posted 23 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 13

I've made the Fuzzy Navel before, VERY good! Pina Colada Cake can be made with rum. I get a lot of requests for that, also VERY good. Couldn't find a Pina C recipe I liked enough so I tweaked and tweaked and came up with my own which is a big hit with customers and friends.
Also Tropic Breeze WASC has has rum, Cosmo WASC has Triple Sec, White Russian has Kahlua, vodka ans Mudslide. There are quite a few.

Sangriacupcake Posted 23 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 13

I make a mojito cake by adding 1 T. lime zest, 1 T. finely chopped fresh mint and 1/3 cup of rum to white cake (subtract an equal amount from the recipe's liquid, of course.) Top with lime cream cheese icing. I get so many requests for this!!

instant-gratificaketion Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:32am
post #5 of 13

For my pina colada cake, I make coconut cupcakes, use pineapple filling and make a coconut rum buttercream using 2-4 Tbsp of dark rum for the liquid called for. In one of the BC recipes I have I used 4Tbsp and my mom said it made her "tongue burn" and she's not a drinker. My sister owns a bar and said it tasted exactly like a pina colada drink.

Pic in my photos of the cupcake. The decoration was cute.

rowantree Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 13

I make a great scratch Southern Comfort Red Velvet Cake that's moist and tasty and sturdy enough for a wedding cake! I triples the recipe as-is and it was fabulous!

Southern Comfort Red Velvet Cake
Makes 12 to 16 servings or 24 cupcakes
For the cake:
3 cups cake flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup Southern Comfort
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 (1-ounce) jar Wilton's "no-taste"red food coloring
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
For the frosting:
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Southern Comfort
Chopped toasted pecans, for garnish (optional)

To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with butter, or spray them with nonstick spray. Dust them with flour and tap out the excess.
Whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, Southern Comfort, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack, and then remove them from the pans and cool completely.
To make the frosting: Beat the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Add 6 cups of the confectioners sugar, the milk, and the Southern Comfort. Beat on low speed until creamy. Gradually add the remaining confectioners sugar, a little at a time, until the frosting has reached the desired consistency.
Place one cake layer on a plate and spread it with about one-third of the frosting. Top with the remaining cake layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle the cake with chopped pecans, if using.

ycknits Posted 26 May 2011 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 13

Rowantree - your recipe sounds awesome! Do you think it would be sturdy enough for carving a 3D cake? I need to stack about six 12" rounds for the body of a bulldog cake and I'd love to make it Red Velvet....

rowantree Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 13

Yes, I think it will work. I made 4" thick cakes that I torted into two and layered with apricot preserves and buttercream--peach would work, too for flavor. For sculpting, you could just freeze the 4" layers and layer them as you need and carve away!

Oh, also, someone here had the great idea of using the metal rose nails, inserted, point up, into the deeper pans full of batter to help it stay level (not to rise up into a mountain in the middle, and it worked great! I used two of them in my bottom 14" layer, and one in the 10" layer. Amazing little gadget!

simplysouthern Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 13

Tiramisu! Its delicious and you have liquor (Baileys) in the cake and syrup and icing!!!

julesh268 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #10 of 13

I made an EXCELLENT cake called a "Irish Car Bomb" but from what I hear it isn't true to the actual drink. It is chocolate cake with Guinness beer in it and the filling was made with vanilla pudding and Bailey Irish Cream...TO DIE FOR! Deep rich flavor and I could (ok, I actually did icon_redface.gif ) eat the filling with a spoon. DOES NOT NEED TO BE KEPT COLD EITHER!

PM me if you want the recipe, but I did find both here.

ycknits Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #11 of 13

The Irish Car Bomb cake is one of my family's favorites, especially for the adult boys! I like it because it's much less sweet than my standard chocolate cakes.... has a bit of a 'malty' taste.

rowantree Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 13
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Tiramisu! Its delicious and you have liquor (Baileys) in the cake and syrup and icing!!!

We make it with either Amaretto or Kahlua mixed with the coffee to soak the ladyfingers (savoyardi biscuits)in.

simplysouthern Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 13
Originally Posted by rowantree

Originally Posted by simplysouthern

We make it with either Amaretto or Kahlua mixed with the coffee to soak the ladyfingers (savoyardi biscuits)in.

Wow I totally meant Kahlua LOL, this is what happens when I post tired Haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%