Duncan Hines Cake Mix

Baking By JillyPlot Updated 28 May 2011 , 11:50pm by tokazodo

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 25

I've been using the Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, and I've noticed it has a weird after taste. Is this normal or could the 2 mixes I've have (which I bought at the same time) were bad or something? I can't describe the taste, but it's really bad. Does anyone have any suggestions about this or other cake mixes that taste better?

24 replies
ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 25

Could be caused by old dates on mixes. Could be stored around something that had a bad smell, such as fertilizer.
I'd contact the store and complain and I would also contact Duncan Hines.
Hopefully kept the box because it will have numbers on it that will help the company.

Leslie87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leslie87 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #3 of 25

I've been using Duncan Hines cake mixes for the last 4 years and never had a problem with them tasting bad. But I have never used the yellow cake mix. I use the classic white, devils food, lemon, red velvet and dark chocolate fudge. Love them all that's what I use for all my cake backing. You should try one of the other flavors and see if you like them.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 25

I use the butter recipe duncan Hines and i've noticed that the mix is different. My cake sometimes sink in the middle. This never used to happen. Plus it used to taste more like scratch. I'm not liking it so much now.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 25

I don't like the butter cake. I use the classic yellow and then enhance it with sour cream, etc. The Butter cake does sink in the middle no matter what I did to correct it and I've been baking cakes for way too many years to mention. LOL I do like all the other flavors.

steplite Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:31am
post #6 of 25

Well now I know I'm not the only one with that problem. I used to bake the Almond pound cake from the cake mix doctor using to butter recipe. But now it almost always sinks. It didn't used to do that. I'm not satisfied with DH lately or the taste.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:45am
post #7 of 25

Not really on topic but recently I've been sifting my cake mixes and DH always very rock hard bits in it that can not be crushed.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 25

I also sift DH, but I haven't noticed any large clumps or hard pieces. I would check with the store, something doesn't sound right. I also don't use the butter cake for the same reason, it seems to always sink in the middle, no matter what I do. So I always use the Classic Yellow. Good Luck!

JillyPlot Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 25

Thank you all! Unfortunately, I live with a Mr. Clean so I no longer have the boxes for either one, so I can't check the dates or anything. I think maybe I'll try the class white next time. I have some cupcakes downstairs from one of the chocolate cakes also.

JillyPlot Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 25

I think it must have been the individual boxes of mix. I made another one yesterday and it tastes just fine. Thanks for your help!

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 25

I noticed the chocolate fudge flavor tasted off in a batch this weekend. I threw them out and made new ones but I do beleive they have changed something.

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 25

I used to use DH mixes with good results, but I was not happy with them the last couple of times that I used the yellow mix. I enhanced my mix batter but it didn't help. The cake had no flavor at all- it was bland- like white bread.

I don't make that many cakes, so that limits my experience. I don't use DH or Betty Crocker anymore. They both seem different to me. So far, I'm having great results with Pillbury. I hope that they leave their formula alone and I hope that you find a good alternative for your baking needs, too. icon_smile.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 25

i have had problems with duncan hines mixes for a while so I switched to betty crocker. I found bugs small spiders with webs in the plastic bag with the mix.. it was in several mixes of duncan hines orange and lemon and when I contacted the company with all the number and where I purchased them and they didn't do anything. I never got coupons or replacement or an Im sorry. I also noticed that the duncan hines cake mixes have less batter than betty crocker.
The last pilsbury I used was the devils food and I had to rebake it with another mix because it tasted burned but it wasn't. just had an off taste.
I have had to sift betty crockers white cake mixes. It comes out like bisquick with a bland taste, and have had problems with cracks and not baking right. Had my oven checked and called the company to see if they changed anything they said no.. but something had to have changed. They talked to me on the phone like a 5 yr old who had never baked a cake before. They did send me coupons for the messed up mixes and then paperwork on how to bake a cake! boy that did not set well me with! I have been baking the same way with the same mixes for over 32 yrs now.
we have an off brand here not sure who makes it and it has been better tasting and more reliable than some of the name brands. just not available all the time so I guess people really like it better as it sells out quickly.

RiZVF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiZVF Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 25

So glad to know I'm not the only one!!! I've found the same types of problems with all the DH flavors except the Classic White - a funny taste, sinking in the middle, and flour (I hope!) that just won't break up no matter how much the mix is beaten... I've used DH for years, but maybe it's time to switch.

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 25

I guess it's time to start trying some new scratch recipies, I had one that tasted burnt as well but definately wasn't. There was a thread about DH just the other day so something must be going on for it to affect so many of us.

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:50pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

i have had problems with duncan hines mixes for a while so I switched to betty crocker. I found bugs small spiders with webs in the plastic bag with the mix.. it was in several mixes of duncan hines orange and lemon and when I contacted the company with all the number and where I purchased them and they didn't do anything. I never got coupons or replacement or an Im sorry. I also noticed that the duncan hines cake mixes have less batter than betty crocker.
The last pilsbury I used was the devils food and I had to rebake it with another mix because it tasted burned but it wasn't. just had an off taste.
I have had to sift betty crockers white cake mixes. It comes out like bisquick with a bland taste, and have had problems with cracks and not baking right. Had my oven checked and called the company to see if they changed anything they said no.. but something had to have changed. They talked to me on the phone like a 5 yr old who had never baked a cake before. They did send me coupons for the messed up mixes and then paperwork on how to bake a cake! boy that did not set well me with! I have been baking the same way with the same mixes for over 32 yrs now.
we have an off brand here not sure who makes it and it has been better tasting and more reliable than some of the name brands. just not available all the time so I guess people really like it better as it sells out quickly.

Wow! I'm happy to say that I've never encountered any critters in my mixes- although they may not have been visible- ewww. icon_surprised.gif

I do put flour, dry pasta, and mixes in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any potential stowaways. I sift everything for better texture and to be sure that I catch what might be a problem. I don't know anything about mass production, but there is a chance of finding "extras" in our food. Government agencies have regulations of how much is acceptable- not that it makes me feel any better about it.

I use Pillsbury dark chocolate cake mix exclusively. I don't like the german or devil's food chocolate cake mixes- not fudgy enough. I substitute strong coffee that has been cooled for the water, and I add vanilla and/or other emulsions/extracts to the batter. I've had great success with these changes- everyone loves my chocolate cake. I used to make a scratch chocolate cake but everyone like this doctored mix better. I like the consistency that I get with box cakes because I don't bake enough to get the scratch recipes perfected.

steplite Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:01pm
post #17 of 25

Labmom, I think we just might have to master scratch baking. I do scratch baking but I also do a little box baking for pound cakes and I always use the extender recipe. But I can tell Duncan Hines Has changed their mix. I'm tried of all the sinking pound cakes. Plus DH just doesn't taste the same.

steplite Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:38am
post #18 of 25

Well I tried my almond cream cheese pound cake recipe from CMD but used Betty Crocker's Butter recipe instead of DH. It baked up perfect and didn't sink. But I didn't perticular like the taste of BC. It tasted a little chemical to me.
Maybe I'll try the recipe with DH classic yellow mix.

barico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barico Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:59am
post #19 of 25

wow, I'm curious about the yellow DH cake mix. It has always been my favorite. I usually nibble off of the tops that I slice off, but this past week when I baked an order, I didn't not taste it. When I spoke with the recipient they said they did not like the yellow cake! I was really surprised because it is usually just a classically, good-flavored, moist cake. Now I am wondering if it truly was a bad tasting couple boxes of mix. Ugh, I guess I should always eat from the tops from now on just to make sure! I have never used another brand of mix for the past six years and don't intend to, but I certainly plan on testing from now on.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #20 of 25

I've seen quite a few posts with people having issues with Duncan Hines and it surprises me because I have used Duncan Hines Classic Yellow and Classic White for all of my cakes (enhanced with other ingredients of course) and it always turns out great and people love it! I've never encountered the hard bits, bugs, or bad taste. Interesting how different the same cake mix can be! Sorry to everyone that has these problems! Best of luck in the future!

steplite Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #21 of 25

I've always used DH too Emilyjo9. I prefer the taste. But it's the butter recipe that I'm having trouble with. And the taste is different . They've changed the butter recipe. I've made that almond pound cake hundreds of times and it never used to sink. But now it sinks everytime. I don't have a problem with the DH white. I only use those two because I usually bake from scratch.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #22 of 25

I have been having the same issue with duncan hines. My new go to is Pillsbury and they seem to be working much better than Duncan Hines. The last box I bought the bag was open and the mix was all in the box. I wrote them and they sent me a coupon for a free product.

JillyPlot Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #23 of 25

I've also tried Pillsbury. Last week they were on sale at a local grocery store 10 for $10, so I bought them. They've been great so far!

Lynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynda Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:33pm
post #24 of 25

When I took cake decorating classes at our local cake shop, they suggested Betty Crocker. That is what I have always used. I change the recipe and use milk instead of water which they also suggested. Have had great results with them.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:50pm
post #25 of 25

It's been me and the Dough Boy for years, (Pillsbury) but in the past 6 months, they have stopped selling it in my area. (Why? IDK) And I swear by Pillsbury cake mixes. I have never had a problem with them, they taste great and moist.
I have purchased Duncan Hines on sale several times and it always leaves me disappointed. When I go to torte it, it cracks terrible. I have pieces falling off the edges and I have to 'glue' them together with buttercream.
AND I WORK WITH NEARLY FROZEN CAKE! UGH!!!

Right now I am sticking with Betty Crocker and it seems to be doing okay. If I have to use DH, I try to mix a large batch of cake and mix the brands.
How difficult can it be to formulate a satisfactory box cake mix and why, after years of success do they have to mess with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%