First Wedding Cake..please Help!!!!!

Decorating By TheCakeUpArtist Updated 14 May 2011 , 1:17pm by TheCakeUpArtist

TheCakeUpArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeUpArtist Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 6

I know this is my first post...and it is a wedding cake .LOL

So, I have the cake tasting tomorrow, and plan to meet at a coffee shop, I hope that's a good idea? They want a tiramisu flavor, and I have finally figured the combination out with a mascarpone/brandy/ kahlua filling, and it actually tastes like tiramisuicon_smile.gif) What should I ice the outside with? I was thinking a white or dark chocolate ganache with some brandy?? I am thinking ganache because of the fondant it will be covered in. Ideas??

They want a cake for 150...so I am wrecking my brain which pans to use. 14, 12, 10, 8???? Or would that be too many servings. I told them I would give them a gratis 6" tier, since it's my first wedding cake. Do I box that up? ?I think I shouldn't include that in the 150 servings, since I told them it is gratis...or should I??

With such a complex flavor/filling, would you do 2-layers in each tier ( I understand that's 2 layers cake with one layer filling, right???) or more then that?

I am scared to death to torte huge cakes like this. The biggest I ever torted was a 12", and it almost ended in a disaster icon_sad.gif Any advise from the experts on this?

Would you assemble on location or transport in individual boxes?? Its a simple white cake with a whimsical bunch of light green leaves draped all over the cake...I'd say about 50-70 leaves. And what should I use to make it look all connected like a vine or a branch?? Floral wire wrapped in fondant? Just fondant?

I hope I don't sound too lost...I have done quite a few stacked tier cakes, just never a wedding cake.

Any help or advise sooo welcomed!!

Thank you!!!

5 replies
pastrycutie75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrycutie75 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 6

Okay I would transport each tier in individual boxes and give yourself ample time to assemble on location so you won't risk anything falling off or breaking. I think floral wire wrapped in fondant would be more sturdier

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:26am
post #3 of 6

Welcome!

First don't panic! If you have done stacked tiered cakes, that you have got it made! Just make sure your support is sound and all will be great! You can transport either way. It's a 4 tier? I would use the SPS and transport together, but you could do 2 and 2. (I always use the SPS for tier cakes) I am also a big fan of ganache, so that sounds great to me!!!

Do you have to torte? Can you just do a 2" layer filling and a 2" layer.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #4 of 6

....... cake for 150........
a 16", 12, 8 rounds = 156 servings. OR there are many other combinations that would give you that # of servings. Do you want rounds, hearts, squares or other, including combinations of shapes?
Keep the top tier only a 6" or 8" - nothing bigger.
...........offered a gratis 6" tier, Do I box that up? ?I think I shouldn't include that in the 150 servings, since I told them it is gratis...or should I??.............

It can be part of the cake (displayed) but not counted in the servings. OR you can box it up and give it to the parents to watch over.

..........complex flavor/filling,.....do 2-layers in each tier (that's 2 layers cake with one layer filling, right???) ........

That's what I prefere. I heard one of the judges on Ultimate Cake-off say how they liked when one of the contestants used one filling & 2 layers of cake better than torting into many layers.

HOw it's transported depends on where & when (weather), how long the drive; type of roads etc. and how the cake is set up - pillered?, stacked?, or combination?
..........what should I use to make it look all connected like a vine or a branch?? Floral wire wrapped in fondant? Just fondant?........
I suggest a fondant 'rope' formed as a branch. No need for floral wire in it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeUpArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeUpArtist Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all soo much icon_smile.gif I am on my way to the testing....wish me luck!!! Do I need to make the bride aware that I will not stay to cut and serve the cake at the reception??
Since it's Tiramisu, it needs to be refrigerated,if it's out more then 2 hours?? Their ceremony starts at 5:30, cocktail hours from 6-7pm (in which time the atrium will be changed over to reception).
So, I am assuming, I should bring the cake around 6??? Or earlier? I don't want it to have to go in the refrigerator before the reception, because I fear that the cake will be too hard (butter cake)... any advise super appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%