Cupcake Liners And Pans Questions

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 15 May 2011 , 5:50am by pmarks0

pmarks0 Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

I've got two old muffin tins that I use when I make cupcakes, which isn't too often. However I am making them more than in the past. One of the pans is a dark teflon pan and the other is a light metal pan. I know that when I bake both pans that they bake differently. Which is better and what do most people use? I'd like to get a 24 cup pan but I'm not sure whether I should be getting a dark or light coloured pan.

My other question is about liners. I usually just buy the cheap ones from the grocery store. I realize that this means not grease proof. Do you all use grease proof all the time? I made red velvet cupcakes last weekend and not only did the grease come through, the liner also came off on a number of them. I'm not sure if that's because of the grease or because of their cheap quality. I'd use the grease proof ones but they're quite expensive especially if I'm just making cupcakes as a tasting vehicle for a new recipe or for my DH to take into work.

5 replies
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 6

I own a bakery and the only pans I use are Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch. They are very pricey, but the results are so significant... even when compared to the regular silver pan which is second best.

For liners, only high quality greaseproof or Reynolds Foil. I tried a foil on etsy and it pulled away. And not all greaseproof liners are the same either. This is not a place to cut corners if you are selling them. I can make the exact amount for an order and not lose even one to liners pulling away.

pmarks0 Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:02am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info. I've seen the WS Goldtouch line but OMG they are so expensive. The 12 cup pan is $30 on the US website which means they'll be stupidly more here even though our dollars are so closely equal. icon_wink.gif I will probably have to bit the bullet and get one for, and wait on the second. Any thoughts on Chicago Metallic or the Fat Daddios muffin pan?

As for the liners, I don't think I've ever seen the Reynolds foil liners up here. I'll have to check out some of the other stores. Dumb question, but are they shiny on the outside?

My local cake supplier has the grease proof which I would get and save for when I'm making for a paying customer. Or someone special. They have mostly patterened and coloured greaseproof liners. Do you just go with them for customers or do you use those cupcake wrappers for most customers or just weddings and special occasions?

scp1127 Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 6

pmarks0, I'm sorry, I didn't see your location. If you are a baker that has competition or you cater to a picky, higher income market, I would get the Goldtouch. Maybe you could save for them and buy all at once an save some shipping. The difference is extremely pronounced in all of their pans. I have eight muffins and multiples of all of ther other pans... rounds, bread, etc. All of my cookie shets are the regular WS because I always use parchment. I have one GT cookie, but I saw no difference.

The biggest advantage to the GT is that the color and consistency are the same on the sides as in the middle. I use baking strips and nails too.

As for the liners, I use them exclusively. I have just switched over to all brown parchment tulips because I want a cupcake bigger than standard and smaller than the next size up. If you buy larger quantities, the good ones are the same price as the not so great ones. Mine are not freestanding. I have to leave my house right now (new cell phone just decided to die), but if you pm me as a reminder, I will look up my vendor and put it on the site so others can see too.

scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 6

My vendor is below. I have used the tulip cups from here. I just ordered the regular liners, so I don't have any experience with them yet.

thebakerskitchen.net

Ok, this is my third attempt to make the link work. Sorry, you will have to copy and paste. I couldn't get it to work earlier today either, so I gave up.

pmarks0 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the information and the website. It's all very helpful. I appreciate this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%