Buttercream And Food Coloring

Decorating By MichelleB0802 Updated 14 May 2011 , 12:37am by Sangriacupcake

MichelleB0802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleB0802 Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

I have made a batch of Indebi's (sp?) buttercream and the sky blue food coloring doesn't seem to be mixing well. It it blue with lots of white streaks and I mixed it for a good 10 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to get the color to stick to the icing?

5 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

what type/brand of food coloring did you use?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

Instead of mixing your color into an icing made using water, use whole milk instead. Have no idea why this works but it does.

MichelleB0802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleB0802 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:14am
post #4 of 6

I used sky blue Wilton brand and no water in the recipe just milk

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 6

Next time try adding the color to the liquid before mixing it into the icing. This help distribute it better.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #6 of 6

Several things might be going on. If you used a store brand powdered sugar, this might be part of the problem...next time try switching to a good name brand that uses only CANE sugar.

Second, if you skimped on the Dream Whip (which has lots of emulsifiers) it might affect the way the icing accepts color, because Crisco by itself doesn't color well since they changed their formula to eliminate trans fats.

Third, is the icing pretty thin? I've had trouble tinting some of my icings when they're thin (especially with blue, for some reason!) Try adding powdered sugar to thicken it up.

Fourth, this is a long shot, but did you substitute some of the shortening for margarine? When I've made icings that contain a lot of margarine (we have milk allergies in out family) they don't always color easily.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%