What Is It With People?

Business By karateka Updated 15 May 2011 , 3:36am by costumeczar

karateka Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 9

I had a tasting about 2 months ago for a wedding planned June 18, 2011. I was excited to get the booking. She gave me a deposit right there and then. I typed up the contract and mailed it to her.

I don't get it back until today, and the date of the event and the venue have been marked out and changed!! Keep in mind the final payment is due the 28th of this month!

What the HE** was she going to do if I was booked? I mean, really. I told her the deposit was non-refundable, too. Would have served her right!

8 replies
Dayti Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 9

Nice - she clearly sees the cake as an important part of their big day icon_rolleyes.gif Did she bring the date forward or is the venue much further away? Wondering if you have room in either case to add a rush order fee or higher delivery fee...(PITA fee in other words...!)

Annabakescakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:42am
post #3 of 9

What a crack-head! How about a phone call to see if you can do it then? I would tell her I was booked, and raise the price. for having to do it then.

karateka Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:57am
post #4 of 9

She pushed it a week, so it's more time for me. The delivery is actually 4 miles closer, so I should likely refund it. But I'm not gonna. She made me mad. Not even a call.....how rude!

I'm going to make her sign an addendum. She started out as a great bride. Now she's on my list.

indydebi Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:07am
post #5 of 9

Here's what I had in my contract regarding date changes:

2. A retainer of 50% is required to hold the date and is not refundable. Retainers are event and date specific. If a date change for the same event is requested, the event is considered canceled and the retainer will be forfeited. If the re-booked date is 4 months or more past the old date, the order cost will be reviewed and recalculated at and subject to the then prevailing rates and policies.  

What this tells a bride is:

- She cannot "change" the date. She has canc'd on the original date and I get to keep the retainer for THAT date to cover all of those other brides I've turned down because she had that date booked with me.

- If she wants me to do it on another date, then she has to re-book and is subject to another deposit as with any "new" booking.

- She can't rebook it 6 months out and expect to get the same prices. It will be rebooked with whatever new pricing is in effect at the time of the new date of the event.

I kept some flexibility open on these situations and to be honest, it was in the contract to cover my behind if I ran into a problem or unreasonable bride. Most of the time, I worked wtih them with little problems.

------------------------------------------

But if I can have some fun with this one: icon_biggrin.gif

ME: Hello bride? I'm confused. There's a different date on the contract Do I have the wrong date in my notes?

(Let her explain that she changed the date)

Me: OH! I must have missed your email to me to find out if I was available that date or not. What was the date on that email? ..... Oh? You didnt' check with me first? Oh.... no WONDER I dont' recall authorizing this change. Let me put you on hold for a second to see if that date is open. I sure hope it is .... I'll almost feel bad keeping your deposit because you canc'd. be right back......

(let her sweat it out for a minute or two).

Me: Good news! I'm available! Boy you sure dodged a bullet on that one! I hope you have the same good luck with all of your other vendors!

heh he heh icon_twisted.gif

Mme_K Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #6 of 9

Indydebi, I LOVE it! I needed a good chuckle tonight! Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

2. A retainer of 50% is required to hold the date and is not refundable. Retainers are event and date specific. If a date change for the same event is requested, the event is considered canceled and the retainer will be forfeited. If the re-booked date is 4 months or more past the old date, the order cost will be reviewed and recalculated at and subject to the then prevailing rates and policies.  

- She cannot "change" the date. She has canc'd on the original date and I get to keep the retainer for THAT date to cover all of those other brides I've turned down because she had that date booked with me.

- If she wants me to do it on another date, then she has to re-book and is subject to another deposit as with any "new" booking.

- She can't rebook it 6 months out and expect to get the same prices. It will be rebooked with whatever new pricing is in effect at the time of the new date of the event.

I kept some flexibility open on these situations and to be honest, it was in the contract to cover my behind if I ran into a problem or unreasonable bride. Most of the time, I worked wtih them with little problems.

ME: Hello bride? I'm confused. There's a different date on the contract Do I have the wrong date in my notes?

Me: OH! I must have missed your email to me to find out if I was available that date or not. What was the date on that email? ..... Oh? You didnt' check with me first? Oh.... no WONDER I dont' recall authorizing this change. Let me put you on hold for a second to see if that date is open. I sure hope it is .... I'll almost feel bad keeping your deposit because you canc'd. be right back......

Me: Good news! I'm available! Boy you sure dodged a bullet on that one! I hope you have the same good luck with all of your other vendors!

Wish I had thought of that before I emailed her. She still hasn't returned my email. Should be entertaining. For somebody.

JulieMN Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Love this!

costumeczar Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #9 of 9

This is why I don't cash a deposit check until I have a signed contract. If someone sends in a check with an unsigend contract, I'll hold onto the check and send the contract back to them. Nothing gets deposited until I get the signed contract back from them. And I don't sign anything until THEY sign it first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%