Which Fillings Go In The Fridge, Which Stay On The Counter

Decorating By luckyblueeye Updated 14 May 2011 , 2:45am by luckyblueeye

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 3

I'm very new and I'm in the process of testing recipes and fillings. Well, I made a cake with mousse and somehow didn't pay attention that I had used heavy whipping cream that probably should have been refrigerated...it did ok for 3 days but maybe that was just luck.
I'm specifically asking about cakes that have had a slice cut already...so they are exposed to air etc, under a cover of course...but not in my fridge. Does anyone have a list of fillings that are ok to store in room temp even after the cake has been cut? Which ones are a "no no" after cutting?
Thanks!

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 3

There is no list because there are so many ways to make the same item. If you bake from scratch, the custards, mousses, whipped creams... all need to be refrigerated. IMBC, SMBC, and FBC will last on the counter for a few days (eggs are cooked and butter can be left out of the refrigerator). If you are using sleeves, ABC, and box mixes, there are preservatives and artificial ingredients that do not need refrigeration in most cases. Use your best judgement and when in doubt, refrigerate.

If you have a recipe that needs refrigeration, cover the cut part with wax or plastic wrap and store covered in the refrigerator. Take it out one hour to a half hour before serving and it will be the right consistency again.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:45am
post #3 of 3

Thank you scp1127!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%