My Colours Are Bleeding.

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 15 May 2011 , 2:27pm by Marianna46

Rochelle1 Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 4

Sometimes when I decorate butter cream cakes they bleed. How can I prevent this. I Live in Jamaica and pretty hot so I refrigerate cakes to deliver. Sometime the cakes collect water droplets while in the refrigerator. When I cut down the time to maybe two hours it still forms drops when it hits room tempature. just not as much. It mainly pose a problem with dark colours I have mixed eg black and red and when it gets on to the summer and hotter. I wondered if I should use high ratio shortening instead of regular shortenings?

Any suggestions?

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

If you have enough space in your refrigerator to box the cake up and wrap it airtight in plastic wrap, your problem will be solved. When you take the cake out of the fridge, keep it wrapped until the cake comes to room temperature. That way, the condensation forms on the outside of the box and not on the cake.

Cupcations Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:49am
post #3 of 4

Not sure if you HAVE to refrigerate your cake(depending on the ingredients)...IMO if its possible don't refrigerate it & don't cover it

After I finished decorating this cake

I covered it over night with a plastic container that can control the moister, the controllers were completely "off" so it did have some air coming in.. I woke up the second day with bleeding marks all over it I was about to cry icon_cry.gif , but I ended up covering the spots with gold Disco Dust which covered most of it but from now on i'm NEVER covering my cakes

Marianna46 Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with you, Cupcations, about not refrigerating your cake unless you absolutely have to. I think there's a difference between covering cakes that you leave out and those that you put in the fridge (I'm assuming that you didn't refrigerate yours). If you HAVE to refrigerate a cake - because it has something perishable in it - then it has to be airtight or else the condensation that forms on the cake when you take it out will ruin it. In hot, humid climates like Rochelle1's and mine, it can melt your fondant and, of course, cause bleeding otherwise. I don't think it's such a problem in cooler, drier places - the condensation will dry up fast enough to avoid any disasters. In those cases, you just have to be careful not to touch the cake until it's perfectly dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%