Taste Of Red Food Coloring In My Red Velvet

Baking By CVB Updated 15 May 2011 , 9:48pm by Serena4016

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone share a little advise on this. I use about 2 tsp of americolour in my red velvet but all I can taste is the food coloring, I just thought that is what it should taste like. I tried cupcakes while on vacation and their red velvet did not taste like food coloring. What do others use for the coloring?

Thanks,
Jennifer

8 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

One thing I've found about tinting cake batter with red gel food color is that you need a lot less than the recipe says to get it to a decent color. I used less than half of that to turn some batter red the other day, and it came out really red with no taste.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

With americolor being so concentrated, you don't need a lot. The gels have more of a taste than the liquid food coloring.

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

I've been looking for the same answer. Does anyone know if you can use the wilton red no taste color ? Will that work ? Thnks

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 9

Wilton's no taste red tastes like any other red in high doses. I think the trick is just to use less. I wonder if that red velvet recipe is formulated for the liquid coloring you get at the supermarket. If so, then you REALLY need to use less if you're using gel or paste color. In the red cake I made last month, I only tinted half the batter, but I used WAY less than 1 tsp. of color, maybe even less than 1/2 tsp., and it came out VERY red. It wasn't a red velvet cake, just a regular yellow cake that I wanted to decorate like a steak.

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 9

One of my signature flavors is red velvet and I only use McCormick red food coloring. Its perfect for my cakes and has no taste.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

Mccormick is the best thing to use for Red velvet cake.

tahoengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tahoengirl Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 9

You can use the food coloring at your local grocery store for red velvet cakes. All you need is 2oz for a 8in cake.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 9

I always use McCormick 2 oz. bottle of liquid food coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%