Question.....sheet Cakes, Torte And Fill Or No??

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 13 May 2011 , 5:10pm by Jody130

Jody130 Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering do alot of you torte and fill your sheet cake orders, or just
cover in buttercream without the filling??
I think most bakeries just use icing on top and sides. Probably be hard to torte and ice a full sheet cake without damaging it.
Any ideas or suggestions????? icon_eek.gif

9 replies
Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 10

The torting isn't the hardest part, it's the moving one layer off the other and putting it back on after the cake is filled that's the problem. I think that's why most people don't do it.

sunset74 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 10

I have torted and filled almost every half sheet that I have ever made. They are VERY difficult to move apart to actually fill. I have tried cake circles (half sheet cake size) and that works okay, but can be difficult. I have also tried flipping a layer on top of a layer and that did not work very well at all. Many people on here suggested freezing or at least refridgerating the cake and itwill firm up. And a few others recommended using a pizza peal, or a cookie sheet that does not have sides. I can see that a chookie sheet without sides would be SOOOO much easier to support.

KodiSnip Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 10

i make a lot of sheet cakes and what helps me is I bake my cake into a thin layer in my sheet pan (1 inch or so thick) so that I don't have to tort at all. I then cool them and I use a cookie sheet that does not have any sides to move my layers around. The trick is to make sure they're completely cool - they're firmer when you slide the cookie sheet under it. Then I prepare my board put the bottom cake layer down, then put filling, then I use the cookie sheet to slide the other cake layer on and...voila! half sheet filled cake thumbs_up.gif

If I have a full sheet, I bake 4 individual cakes (2 tops, 2 bottoms) and use the above method to fill. The cake is very heavy when filled so make sure that you have a sturdy cake board or drum underneath.

Sometimes if the cake is either carrot or red velvet and I use a cream cheese BC, I won't fill the cake because that icing is heavy and those two flavors have a lot going on and the icing is perfect without it.

Hope that helps!

Mb20fan Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 10

I treat my sheet cakes as I do my other cakes in that I bake two, fill and layer them. I like that they come out really nice and tall. I use a piece of foamcore covered in foil (I RE-use the same piece when I can, just change the foil) to slide the top layer onto the bottom layer.

Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, boy, sunset74 and KodiSnip, thanks for those great tips! I'm always at a loss as to how to move my cake layers around without damaging them (even smaller ones, not just sheet cakes), and these ideas are so good I can't wait to try them!

sunset74 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

LOL Marianna, big thing is to not be scared of the cake. If you are scared and timid you will more more likely to break it. Or so I have found. Because instead of moving in a swift smooth motion you will stutter, shake, stall, pause and just in general possibly hold your cake longer then maybe you should. If that makes sense. So I always stop, take a deep breath and jump in. LOL. I know easier said then done right!!

Have fun, and good luck.

03FLSTF Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 10

I do tort and fill. An agbay makes torting a breeze and I use my large thin cookie sheet as a cake lifter when moving the layers around.

Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 10

Sunset74, you're so right about that! 03FLSTF, if I had an Agbay, I wouldn't complain about anything else ever again!

Jody130 Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks to all of you for your help and ideas, I'm going to try and tackle that on the order I have this week.
THanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%