Sugar Sheets

Decorating By kimmy1972 Updated 16 May 2011 , 1:54am by Mamasan

kimmy1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy1972 Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 15

I'm getting used to working with Fondant and still practicing icon_biggrin.gif. Have anyone tried the Sugar Sheets? Do they work the same as Fondant? I would love to use cut out letters with the sugar sheets (because I don't like my handwriting) rather than fondant because most people that have tried it does not like the taste. If I put on the sugar sheet letters the night before, and let sit in room tempature, will it be okay? Will putting the cake in the fridge make the color "melt" onto the buttercream? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure--what are sugar sheets?? Do you mean edible wafer paper?? And yes, edible paper would work--it would melt, but not bleed,

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 15

I believe the sugar sheets she is talking about are the new sugar sheets from Wilton. They work great and you can dust them with petal dusts. They taste great, almost like sugar veil.
evelyn

kimmy1972 Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 15

@ Jeannem, that was the word I was looking for "bleed" onto the buttercrem, but that is good to know that it will not.

@Evelyn, yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about, the Wilton sugar sheets. Thanks for the suggestion! Keeping the cake at room tempature (or slightly cooler if I have my air on) should not be a problem right? (I will prepare the cake in the evening and delivering the next day).

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 15

I bought the sugar sheets for the first time last night. They are pretty much exactly like the edible sheets you use for printing with an edible ink printer. I actually used them in my Cricut and it worked! Loved it!

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 15

I actually saw these in Michael's last night. They come in different colors and some had the damask print upon them. Can't wait to try them out!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 15

They actually have some letters already cut out in the Wilton sugar sheets. icon_smile.gif

kimmy1972 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try it. I was waiting until I heard feedback on it, and it sounds worth it. I did see the letters already cut out, which I will keep that in mind, but they only had black, and the person wants blue letters.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walls1971

I bought the sugar sheets for the first time last night. They are pretty much exactly like the edible sheets you use for printing with an edible ink printer. I actually used them in my and it worked! Loved it!

I've heard Wilton's sugar sheets are costly. Would it be less expensive to buy edible sheets from another source?

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 15

Have any of you used them in the Cricut or other cutting machine?

Walls1971 Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 15

Yes, I posted earlier that I used them in the Cricut - some smaller items jammed it up but overall it was easy to use with it and it came out beautifully. You only get 1 sheet in the Wilton package for between $3-4, which I thought was ridculous. I didn't realize they were the same as the edible frosting sheets you can buy in a package of 24 for around $28. . . so, yes, it's MUCH more economical to buy the packs of frosting sheets (I ordered from kopykake . com)

Mamasan Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:13am
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Yes, I posted earlier that I used them in the - some smaller items jammed it up but overall it was easy to use with it and it came out beautifully. You only get 1 sheet in the Wilton package for between $3-4, which I thought was ridculous. I didn't realize they were the same as the edible frosting sheets you can buy in a package of 24 for around $28. . . so, yes, it's MUCH more economical to buy the packs of frosting sheets (I ordered from kopykake . com)

Would love to see some pictures, did you take any?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 15

I purchased frosting sheets from icingimages and they are a dream to work with. I scanned a scrapbook paper and printed it onto sheet before cutting out my letters and it came out great. I'll be using the letters ona cake next week. No way am I paying $4 a sheet!

Walls1971 Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 15

Mamasan, I posted a picture of the cake I did the sugar sheet letters for; it's in my pictures (the only one - I've never bothered posting my own pictures before! LOL)

Mamasan Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:54am
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Mamasan, I posted a picture of the cake I did the sugar sheet letters for; it's in my pictures (the only one - I've never bothered posting my own pictures before! LOL)

Very cool! I'd be interested in trying this too, just not at 4 bucks a sheet... icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%