Cupcake Towers Help!!!!

Baking By DeliciousCreations Updated 24 May 2011 , 3:41am by snowdaisy822

DeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousCreations Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:42am
post #1 of 16

I have an order for a cupcake tower of 60 plus a 6" cake on top tier. I have never made one this big and I'm having trouble figuring out what to use. I have found ones built which are pricey $100 and up and tutorials on how to make cupcake towers from cake dummies and cake boards. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also would love to know what sizes I need to fit these.

It's for a baby shower and they want all the cupcakes on the tier. I know some ppl place them all around the table around the cupcake tier but they were specific on this detail.

Thank you!!!

15 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:58am
post #2 of 16

I have a couple towers and am wanting a square one, but right now can't afford to buy another one. Anyway, I saw in a cake magazine where they took those heavy class or mirrors in the shape that you want and they just used cake pillars for the support in between the layers. It looked nice.

I'm just wondering how much per sheet this stuff costs, or you can wrap and put the styrofaom in the center for support, Search and let us know what you find out. Happy hunting!!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 16

I have made smaller cupcake displays with various size cake plates. Here's a picture of one using a small cake plate for the top cake, a larger one for the middle, and a covered cake board for the bottom. Maybe you could work around something similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5198180571/in/photostream/

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 16

I'm going to be making my own later this year. I calculated that you need a 3" square space per cupcake. Just make your dimensions based on that.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 16

I recommend buying the stand & then renting it to them
I bought mine from

http://www.efavormart.com/6-tier-cup-cake-stand.aspx

You can built the size you want & its way cheaper than other websites. I bought 8 tiers for around $70 including shipping
HTH

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 16

I got a couple from cupcaketree.com - take a look as they state how many fit on each size. You can decorate it how you want - they send you thick, bare cardboard rounds and supports.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 16

I make them sometimes using 4'' dummies and cake bases. I charge per tier and use coordinating paper and ribbon to decorate them. A 4 or 5-tier starting with an 8" should work for you. HTH

DeliciousCreations Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #8 of 16

WoW! Thank u all so much!! The pictures and web links have helped a lot!! I think I might invest on that acrylic stand. Thanks again for all the info!!

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:29am
post #9 of 16

Before cupcakes became so popular I just used regular wilton plates and 6" pillars and it came out very nice. icon_smile.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #10 of 16

They do sell disposable ones, that's always an option. That way you don't have to worry about getting your equipment back. if you have to provide something more upscale, charge a deposit (in the amount of the purchase price of the stand) that way if they trash it or don't return it, you have your $ back to purchase another one.

Cupcations Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

I recommend buying the stand & then renting it to them
I bought mine from

http://www.efavormart.com/6-tier-cup-cake-stand.aspx

You can built the size you want & its way cheaper than other websites. I bought 8 tiers for around $70 including shipping
HTH

I rented mine out for $20 (first time) & they loved it...although I strongly support the deposite suggestion

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2034300

DeliciousCreations Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #12 of 16

What I love about the acrylic ones you're using is that you can add something inside the pole to match the cupcakes like flowers or lights. That sold me on it!!! : )

Cupcations Posted 15 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousCreations

What I love about the acrylic ones you're using is that you can add something inside the pole to match the cupcakes like flowers or lights. That sold me on it!!! : )

I agree with you it really adds to the beauty of the tower

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1997835/1997838

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #14 of 16

I broke down and bought a huge one from http://www.thecupcaketower.com/products/?gclid=CKzl0Lqy8KgCFeUbQgodmhfFEA I love it! I get to use it for the first time on Friday for a baby shower with about 100 cupcakes. The largest one is awesome because they send you everything to make smaller tower. It can also be broken in two different ones.

I do like the idea of charging a deposit for it, though. I hadn't thought about that.

DeliciousCreations Posted 18 May 2011 , 11:09am
post #15 of 16

SD,
Wow they are beautiful!! but probably outta my range atm. But yes you never know so a deposit is a must. I'm also charging a small rental fee to make back the money. Please post pics when ur done I'd love to see it!!
Thanks!!

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:41am
post #16 of 16

Okay, I just did the baby shower with my fabulous cupcake tree and it looked great! It made me so happy that I bought it! You can check it out in my photos.[/img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%