Heat And Butter Cream

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 13 May 2011 , 3:11pm by desfox13

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

OK I'm in Maryland and the weather is getting warmer. What can I do to my butter cream icing to help it from melting and getting to soft while on a cake? I have a few coming up where the cake may be outside for a little while before serving and I want to make sure the colors don't run and they don't melt and get soft.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:19am
post #2 of 5

Keep it out of direct sunlight and temperatures above 85 degrees.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 5

I live in Houston Texas, hot and humid!!!!!

go read this thread

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-718275.html

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Keep it out of direct sunlight and temperatures above 85 degrees.

Ditto. Use a shortening based bc instead of one that has butter in the recipe. Shortening based tends to hold up a little better in the heat.

desfox13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desfox13 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

I was looking for more advice since I live in Mexico, on the beach, and the summer monsoon is sooooo hot and humid! But it appears that I have more expertise this time than you, so, ..., I mix my butter with Crisco. I absolutely hate pure shortening frosting - tastes like you're eating greasy sugar. My buttercream is approx. 4 cups powdered sugar to 1 cup Crisco and 1 cup butter. (I say approx. because extra humidity and heat needs more sugar to have body. I also include 2 tsp. of essential oil in the flavor desired. ) This gives good butter flavor, but holds up better in the heat. I try to use fondant when I know the cake has to be outside and only use the buttercream as a crumbcoat and between layers. Hope this helps. I have never posted a photo of my cakes, but I have a small bakery/coffee shop here in Sinaloa.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%