How To Transport 300 Cupcakes!

Baking By bethyscake Updated 13 May 2011 , 6:48pm by scp1127

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 9

I am making around 300 cupcakes soon and I don't know how to transport them all! I am hoping that I can frost them on site. It should be simple enough, I am making a spaghetti cake and the cupcakes will have just butter cream piped on to look like noodles then ill scoop on the raspberry preserves to look like the pasta sauce and something for meatballs. However I'm not sure how to transport all of the cupcakes! I have a large plastic container in storage I could clean up. Would I just stack the first layer, and possible put paper towels between the different layers of cupcakes? However if I cant frost them at the site, I don't trust cake boxes, I worry that they will be bumped around and cause a mess! And I don't want to spend $30 or more on the boxes. I guess I should mention this is a donated cake so all expenses are on me! Any tips or advice would be appreciated, I have until 5-22 to figure something out icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 9

Hello,

Ideas that I have done with big orders is I have gone to my local dry cleaners and have asked for old wedding dress boxes that are laying around to transport my cupcakes. They can hold about 75-100 cupcakes and keeps them air tight. To avoid them from tipping over I crumble up tin foil and place them between each cupcake.

The other idea would be to turn your cupcake pan upside down and take tin foil and cover the bottom of the pan so that it makes the indentation/form from the bottom of the cupcake pan. Take of the foil off and you have an instant tray to carry the cupcakes in. I have not had any fall over when transporting. Keep in mind it does take more room in the boxes if you do it this way.

I hope this helps good luck and send a picture of the cupcakes they sound awesome.

Brittany6231986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany6231986 Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:54am
post #3 of 9

I have never had this come up before but at an event that I was at last year, a lady that made the 500 cupcakes had taken a sheet of flat wood...plywood i think and then got a peice of foam..maybe like an egg crate for the bed but it did not have the dips in it and then cut out the circles to fit the cupcakes perfect. she then glued it to the board. She had 250 on each board and the board FILLED UP the back of her SUV with the back seats folded down. She then put 4 big coffee cans, one on each corner, not sure how she got them to not move, and stacked the second board with 250 more on top of the others so that they would not touch the bottom layer. If this makes any sence to you. She must do it alot to have this setup but it may be worth the work if you reuse it! Maybe this will work for you!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 9

Wow brittany! Thats an awesome idea! I use cake boxes for my cupcakes, I just take a sheet of tissue paper, stuff half of it at the back of the box, line up a row of cupcakes, then kinda gently stuff the other half in front, then get another sheet, do the next row down the same way. Its fast, its cheap, its easy. I have made a 4 hour drive with them in my front seat with this method, absolutely no moving around icon_biggrin.gif I pack all my cupcake orders the same way!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 9

Some one on this site many years ago, posted their cupcake carriers.

I have used mine several times, and it works perfectly. You purchase the red plastic drinking glasses, cut them down to about 1" and then hot glue them to a full sheet board, you can get 30 or so on the board. Put the board filled with cup cakes in a full sheet box and you have a safe clean way to transport.

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:38am
post #7 of 9

Wow, all of these ideas are amazing! A few would take up a lot of room more than I can spare! I really liked the glue one, very creative! I think I may just get the 19x14x4 cake box and put as many as i can in a box. When i frost the cupcakes I'm only doing a little on the top so if the sides touch the frosting wont get smudged. Hopefully those will stack alright! Later down the road I will have to invest into something different for future cupcake orders! Again thank you all for the wonderful replies and helpful tips. I will have the cake posted once its all finished!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:17am
post #8 of 9

I just did 150 cupcakes and used a full sheet cake box with the board and arranged them all in 2 boxes and delivered them in one peice thank God. If you arrange them with a bit of space in between in case they do move around they shouldn't get messed up. But it was the cheapest way to go. But you really need the full sheet board for stability. You can even out a little dab of bc on the bottom before you put on board to avoid shifting. Good luck!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 9

I use the shorter under bed boxes. They hold 160 cupcakes each. Be careful when purchasing as some smell like plastic inside. Home Depot sells industrial shelf liner. It looks just like the kind we use to keep cake rounds from sliding, but it is heavy duty. I put one on the bottom of my cargo area and one between each box... no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%