Ingredient Label

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 15 May 2011 , 12:13am by katnmouse

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 6

A cottage law was recently passed in my state and I am having problems with the labeling aspect. Each ingredient needs to be noted as well as what makes up that ingredient but how do you figure out things if the bottle doesn't list their own ingredients? I made an icing that contains cream of tartar, but the bottle does not list it's ingredients. Do I have to go on a manhunt on google to find what makes cream of tartar, or should I just write, cream of tartar and move onto the next ingredient?

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

http://bakingbites.com/2008/07/what-is-cream-of-tartar/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bitartrate

I don't have the official answer, but after reading those, I'd personally would probably just label it Cream of Tarter. You could label it by the other name, but then normal people wouldn't know what it was.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 6

The labels on store bought items are FDA approved labels by law. It would be best to use the exact terminology as the original label.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you texas sugar, those are the links I read up on as well and didn't know what to do with them. I just listed Cream Of Tartar and that was it. scp1127, there was nothing on the cream of tartar label for ingredients. It didn't even have the word "ingredients" on the label.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 6

Then cream of tartar would be the FDA approved wording. All packaged items that go through a wholesaler or cross state lines have an FDA label. Copying this verbatim will be the safest way to label.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

Cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate, also known as potassium hydrogen tartratea. It is a natural, pure ingredient left behind after grape juice has fermented to wine. They scrape it from the interior of the wine barrels. And therefore it is the only "ingredient" in the cream of tarter container. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%